1,053 of 1,069 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant device, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0) (Personal Computers)
***As of January 3rd 2013 Jelly bean update has been available***

I'll start by saying that I previously acknowledged tablets as being mostly a novelty device but could also see some of the media benefits also.

My birthday is in two days and my fiance surprised me by saying I could have any tablet that I wanted and of course I went into 'research mode' and looked at the Samsung tab 1 and 2, iPad 1, 2 and 3, the Asus tf300 and both transformer tablets. All of them have their positives and negatives, although I was never going to get an iPad is I'm not an apple fan, I'm always inclined towards power under the hood rather than the 'look its shiney' approach.

The galaxy note 10.1 offers the power, the looks and the functionality that anyone could possibly desire. Some review sites say this tablet is cheap looking and feels worse, I implore you to ignore them, its usually apple fans who say this, even I was a tad worried but the moment I held it in my hands I knew I'd made the right choice.

Amazon's listing of this product is wrong at the moment, this is indeed the quad core, 2gb ram and 16gb internal storage. I almost purchased this from another company due to poor listing but i have informed Amazon of their mistake and hopefully they will alter the listing.

One thing I do like on this tablet is the use of the pen, I've downloaded a free app called sketcher off the play market and it's brilliant. I would recommend people to download the Google chrome app straight away as the built in internet app can throw a few hissy fits now and then and chrome seems to work nicely on this tablet.

Now, onto the screen, I cannot believe that some reviewer websites said it wasn't good, are they looking at the back of the tablet, the pre loaded video shows how vibrant it truly is, the viewing angles are very good also, cannot complain at all.

Just for anyone who is curious, the pre loaded Photoshop app only allows editing from what I can tell, you can't start sketching in it, but it's free so have a play with your photos and it's a nifty little app. (someone has informed me that you can in fact create work from the PS app as well)

I would recommend that when you get this brilliant tablet you also order a 32GB micro sd card that is class 10, you've then got a lot of storage space for films, music and pictures you want on the go.

I've only had this tablet for about 4 days now and I haven't been able to make the most out of all the facilities it offers such as the multitasking split screen, and from what I have researched it is the only tablet on the market that truly multi tasks.

On a foot note, no need for a kindle anymore, downloaded the app and works great.

All in this has been a great purchase for me, and I'm very happy I took the plunge, who needs a laptop anymore!

EDIT 15th September - I have now been using this device more and more each day, I set up "Peel Remote" which comes pre-installed o nthe device which enables you to turn on, change channels, volume up down on many many TV's and blu ray players, i linked it up to two LG TV's very easily and also a Sony Blu Ray player. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesnt work on Playsations 3's but it is still a possibility for an update in the future!

I've carried out a few different battery life checks. I charged my Galaxy Note 10.1 up to 100% before i went to sleep at midnight and by morning (8 hours later) it had dropped to only 97%. That very day i used it very sparingly to just check the time and to do a quick browse whilst at work between 9AM and 5PM and the battery only dropped down to about 90%. Yesterday I used it a lot at work, setting up routers, browsing the web, watching some videos on youtube and netflix, the Note started the day on 52% and by the time I had gotten home It was still on 35% even though I'd not been cautious with it.

Pretty much what I'm saying is the battery seems excellent to me, I couldn't be more happy with it.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to fill up my 32GB Micro SD card with digital copies of the blu rays i possess and 99% of them have gone across very easily, my only fripe is that digital copies provided are not 720p or 1080p so im looking into some blu ray ripping software and a converter so I can at least play my films in HD otherwise having such a lovely screen is pointless!

EDIT - I have now put Avengers 1080p onto my tablet now and wow, it looks SO good on this tablet, and the best thing is, i wasn't suprised, i expected it to be good and it looked as great as i anticipated. The audio is the best ive heard on any tablet so far and actually much better than most laptops on the market (excluding the HP laptops with the beats audio)

I have ordered a 3rd party Case since my last edit and it seems to be sufficient for now until the official Samsung case is released, which i would imagine will be very well put together.

I shall add more to this review when I learn more things, I just think its such a shame that reviewing websites do not give this the recognition it deserves when I myself absolutely LOVE IT!

EDIT 23/11/2012 Had this Tablet for quite a while and used it pretty much everyday and still loving every second of it. Now, don't get me wrong I'm not one of these people who just praise an item without giving the negatives, but so far I've only experienced very few. One fault that I have noticed that occurs once in a blue moon is whilst using the Google Chrome Web browser, it can sometimes lock up, but the best way of rectifying this is by pressing the upward facing arrow located at the bottom centre of the screen which opens up multiple things such as calculator emails etc, but it also loads up task manager. If you select task manager and clear the RAM and close down the Google chrome application it will restart the browser where it left off and continue to work absolutely fine.

One thing that has been pointed out to me is not many people have commented about audio on the device. The device comes with a pre-installed application that plays music once transferred onto it, which if you are used to Android based devices you should be familiar with. The actual quality of the audio is decent, I'm not saying "wow who needs surround sound" but it plays the music well, it gives out better audio than my HTC One X which has beats audio.

One last thing I have noticed is that with a screen protector on, sometimes it does not like to smoothly scroll the screen when you have it landscape, but if you alter the device to portrait it seems to be absolutely fine. I'm going to put this down to perhaps my lack of talent in applying a screen sover to the tablet.

Once again, If I learn any new tricks or helpful hints I'll update this review further.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Sep 2012 01:19:58 BDT
Alan Smithee says:
Yes but it states dual core not quad core in the Amazon description. The dual core is of course the old model on sale earlier in the year.
This must be the old model on sale here. Not the newer model which is available to purchase directly on the Samsung site for 399.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2012 08:29:28 BDT
L. Woolridge says:
No, the item I received is in fact the quad core. The galaxy note was originally going to be dual core but they ended up upgrading it, its just that amazon hasn't updated their info, it clearly says the specs on the side of , my box :)

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 10:10:27 BDT
The photo shop app does in fact allow sketching but no palm rejection, i have tried it myself, but the s note app is perfect for sketches in my experience of using it.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 10:11:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Sep 2012 10:13:00 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 13:56:35 BDT
L. Woolridge says:
Thankyou for the heads up I'll have to give it a try, I've found that sketched seems to be a great app also.

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 16:00:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 16:04:25 BDT
H. OBOYLE says:
Just wanted to say awesome review, I have been sold on this tablet since I first came across it a month ago. But I am eagerly awaiting it for my birthday on the 12th (wanted something pimp to look forward to on my birthday, girlfriends are awesome :P), not gonna know what to do first lol so many possibilites. FYI if you have am xbox you can use the controller via bluetooth to control games on the tablet, will be great for emulators (SNES, SEGA & N64 -maybe) But yeah thanks for the good review always good to know what to expect from a happy customer :D

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 16:19:07 BDT
L. Woolridge says:
Thank you very much, glad to know people appreciate what i write. And thank you very much for the heads up about the Xbox tip, I shall definitely be trying that shortly and I will add that into my review when I can :)

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 19:03:57 BDT
R Preston says:
been looking at the note for a week or so now. i got a quite a few blu rays with digital copies. how do you manage to download to the tablet. i have heard the digital copies are only able to play on windows media player or through itunes on ipods/ipads

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2012 19:15:59 BDT
L. Woolridge says:
First off ill say the digital copies are no where near HD quality but its very easy. First you transfer the digital copy to a pc telling it to do it in windows media format. Then you transfer it into the dcim media folder on the Samsung.note, it asks if ypu want to auto convert it, click yes then wait 10 mins and it is complete. If ypu have any other queries feel free to ask

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 19:48:03 BDT
rob gates says:
do you need to have a sim card for the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 to use the internet?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›