5.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a coffee snob., 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Nescafe Dolce Gusto Melody 3 Coffee Machine - Ivory by Krups (Kitchen & Home)
My heart sank when a family member gave me this as a present.

I already have a VERY good (and very expensive) espresso maker. Quite a while ago, after years of saying, "I'm not a coffee snob, but...", I finally came out of the closet and admitted it. I AM a coffee snob. I always ask for tea if I'm visiting friends, because I know that 98 times out of 100, their coffee will make me wince. I have a short list of places where I think the espresso is drinkable (Starbucks isn't one of them!)

So, imagine my predicament, to be given a Nescafe (NESCAFE for goodness sake!!!) machine. Just to add insult to injury, I had to act all enthusiastic about it so as not to hurt a loved one's feelings... A dark day.

Eventually, just to prove to myself how awful it really was, I used it. I had to forgo my usual, well-loved ritual of measuring out my special coffee, pressing it down with my specially purchased gizmo, heating up the machine, and making the coffee. Instead, I opened up a little drawer and popped in (shudder!) a 'pod'.

I used the 'Expresso' pod. It made the coffee suspiciously quickly. The word 'instant' even flicked across my mind. Yuck.

Sip. Not as dire as I'd expected. Not great, but not bad.

Then for the cleaning up. Hey! NO cleaning up. Take the pod out, throw it away, job done! I DID like that part.

Since then I've tried various pods. I'm still not a fan of 'Espresso', but IMO 'Espresso Barista' is every bit as good as an espresso I'd make myself - and considerably better than you get in a lot of coffee shops.

I'm shocked and stunned to say this, but I'm a convert. I love this thing. I haven't used my expensive machine since I bought this, and it even does stuff like impressive latte and cappuchino just as quickly and easily.

If you're driven by taste (and not JUST by pretension), I think you'll like this machine. I never, EVER thought I'd say this, but I can't imagine life without mine now.

I've only found one 'downside'. It's SO fast and so easy that I'm probably drinking WAY too much coffee these days!

HIGHLY recommended.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]