5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my old Belkin by a mile, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Edimax BR-6574N 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n Gigabit Broadband Router with Built-in 1WAN+4LAN 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Ports (Electronics)
LATEST UPDATE:
Been meaning to write this for ages - the router is now working correctly again - still not sure what the problem was but have tightened up some connections and this has probably solved it. I also moved it so it was further away from the modem, and had more space around it.

UPDATE: I've left my original review as is below, so that you can see how I good I thought it was for the first few months. It has now packed up and is refusing to work. It started dropping the connection about two or three times a week and now has no signal passing through it. I have checked it out as best I can.

I've taken my macbook down to the router, and plugged it in via an ethernet cable and got nothing. Plugged my macbook to the modem directly via ethernet and no prob (so I know it is not the modem). Then tried a couple of different cables between router and modem and between macbook and router, still nothing. Have just bought Airport Express and no problem, wireless network working again (so I know it is not my Mac). Will update with what the returns/repair process was like. (on an aside, the Airport Extreme was the easiest wireless network I've ever set up)

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
For the money this router is fantastic. I bought it to replace a Belkin wireless G router which was the source of much frustration for well over a year. I wanted a router that would not drop connection several times a day, and give better wireless reception and faster wired connections. Out of the box it is surprisingly well made, and feels much better put together than my old Belkin (which I still hold in utter contempt). You get a quick start guide, which is pretty good, installation disk (didn't use), power adapter, three antenna and a stand.

Pros:
- Very strong signal, at least 25% stronger than previous wireless G router
I have tested connection strengths in several places and is up to about 35% stronger in some areas. I'm told that this is a common feature of N routers, I don't have any others to compare it with but this performance is excellent in my view. Not sure where their figure of "6 x better coverage than standard g/b routers" comes from or what it means!
I've not got the longest garden (about 50 ft) but signal strength is pretty strong at the end of it.

- Very fast ethernet connection
I use homeplugs for an even faster connection in my office (router is down stairs). For those not familiar with them, they essentially turn your home electrical circuitry into a LAN. The speed difference here is significantly quicker although I'm limited to 85mbps by the plugs ( ). Downloads much quicker but rarely at the max possible, I suspect more to do with the servers than than the router.

- Easy Set-up
I run a Mac and a PC, but chose to set-up on my pc, although having gone through it, I could have done it on the mac just as easily. Was much quicker than expected, and easier than previous router.

Cons:
- Quick start guide (QSG) makes you think you cannot set up on a Mac, but you can.
- Cable modem setting name referred to in the QSG has changed to Dynamic when you go on line to set your router up.

I'd say go for it! You'll struggle to find a better router for the money. I've not had it too long so I'll update here if things go pear shaped, but so far so very good.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]