5.0 out of 5 stars Simplezzzz, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 800 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Matte Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Had the Lumia for quite some time now (March 2012?), which I feel is enough to finally cast judgement.

When I first had it, I had newphoneitus and would kill the battery in a matter of hours, as you would any smartphone. It was desperately bad however. After about 3 updates from Nokia life became easier and I'm happy with it now. It would still be nice to have a bit of feedback from the OS (not an app) to tell me what is eating the juice. There's little indication on the screen in regards what is switched on and I have managed to leave the Bluetooth turned on after leaving the car so another improvement required. I actually think that's my gripes over.

I came to WP7 from Android. My HTC Desire went awol on a drunken way home. It was a decent phone but the OS had turned into a sluggish dog - jerky animations, reboots aplenty etc. The Lumia is running as smoothly as the day I picked it up. Silky! Regular reboots required? Nope. I think the only time it has been rebooted by me is on a plane. I do remember seeing it reboot/recover itself once too. Not sure what that was about? All in all, a very solid OS.

Applications. I see it everywhere that WP doesn't have the gallery of Apps that Android or IOS has. Can I just say, GOOD! Trying to find the perfect app to do something simple was a nightmare! Too many options. With WP, the choice is curtailed and life is easy. I do wish Microsoft would get iron fist at this crucial time and vet out any disfunctional detritus that appears on their market (like it has on other platforms).
I'm not heavily into apps so I'm not dwelling on them too much. I don't avidly go looking for something that I don't need. I wait for a circumstance where I do find one maybe handy, and then go looking.
Marketplace usage: I needed a timer for cooking, so I went to the Marketplace and searched for 'Timer'. At the time, it only threw up about 20 results but now it's much more populated. Still, it's easy to find a well reviewed solution. I ended up with the excellent, SuperTimer. 4 asynchronous timers, perfectly matching my requirement.
I needed an interval timer for the exercise bike, so I put in 'interval timer' and from a choice of 20 odd, I ended up with the simply brilliant Push It!. So simple and so solid. Improved my achievements in the gym, no end. This app almost kills me!

Nokia Drive has replaced my old TomTom as a nav device. There are times when it can be a bit of a pig to find places(Thornbury powerstation springs to mind) because the search just hangs but there are always get-arounds that you'll discover (use Bing for instance). I still, as I did with TomTom, apply something called 'common sense' - I ignore it until I'm within 20 miles! Top tip. For an integrated option, it's neat though. It doesn't look as pretty as Google's but achieves the same purpose.

The camera has been excellent and the integrated ability to snap and upload to various social networks is amazing. Click, share, append optional message, upload. Done - Gordon Ramsey would be proud. In fact social networking is a very key feature of the phone. I'm not one for telling the world what I'm doing every second of the day but the Lumia has definitely caused me to up my Facebook activity - without ever going on Facebook! There is a Facebook app, but I rarely use it. The OS itself neatly takes care of all I need to achieve for me. Facebook (+chat), Messenger, Skype and Twitter all coming in one stream.

I have come to love my Lumia, I admit it. When I'm out and about, the ignorant Apple mob scoff and laugh (because it isn't an ehphone therefore uncool); the Android gang take a look then arrogantly claim it's rubbish as they reboot their phone. Persuading them that WP is actually good will be an uphill struggle because of course, it's Microsoft therefore must be rubbish, right? For me, fact is fact, the Lumia has given me no grief and still carry's out my day to day tasks effortlessly. Whilst out with the other OS phones, the Lumia has left them for dust in achieving what have become menial tasks.
On the battery life thing I offer this. A few weeks back, we did the Circle line pub crawl. Midday kick-off, batteries full, navigation on to find the first pub then off, 3G off, WiFi off. 12 hours, 3 phone calls, quite a bit on WhatsApp (3G on for uploads), 10 flash photos, 27 FB Check-in's (as evidence) later and the Lumia did actually shock me as it was still at 50% on the battery. iPhones dead, S3's on the last legs. I don't know but perhaps this was only because the others were phone fiddling more than me that day?

On the build quality, I can think of no other fitting way to comment on it other than if the Lumia 800 were an animal, it would be a Honey Badger. Cute to some, ugly to others, and either way, hard as nails. Drop it if you like, Lumia won't care! try scratching it if you like, Lumia won't care....

Why am I reviewing the phone now? Because I want the new Lumia 920 (Chuck Norris) - desperately. There could be a mass of 800's about to hit the market and felt it necessary to warn others that they may actually like it!

Note: I am finding that the Whatsapp program is a battery killer! Across platforms it seems to not be a patch on how good it was when it first appeared. There are much better alternatives available but unfortunately the masses are tied to Whatsapp now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Dec 2012 11:26:21 GMT
Mr. P. Hesse says:
Great review of what seems an under-rated phone. Thinking of getting one myself now! Tesco are offering it for £12.50 a month - I'm due an upgrade (on 3 at the moment) in 2 weeks. This is definitely on the shortlist now. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2012 11:49:17 GMT
Yes, definitely underated. I actually think you are better off buying. Especially as the price is falling like a stone now. Add up the total cost of the contract before signing on the dotted line...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 14:03:26 GMT
Vin says:
Excellent review, im able to get one of these nokias,its just im coming from android also.
How different is the change I use youtube alot and gmail alot would this be an issue for me , plus I do online banking and a little worried because of the not so ecause does not have so many apps.
Is a case and screen protector recomemnded because it has gorrila glass.
Thank you in advance.
Great review again be waiting on your reply before purchase , I have normal sim with 3 mobile doesnt this take micro sim and would 3 swap like for like im on psy as you go unltd data etc but must keep this number and plan its suits me fine.
Thanks again.
Pete.

Posted on 1 Jan 2013 14:04:03 GMT
Vin says:
Is a case and screen protector recomemnded because it has gorrila glass.
Thank you in advance.
Thanks again.
Pete.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 15:38:48 GMT
Hi,

Changing OS's is always going to create a 'bump' in your day-to-day phone usage. I did find migrating simple though to be honest. I do find WP7 easier to navigate with single handed, flick of thumb. Android was more of a two handed effort for me - hold the phone in one hand and flick (after a delay, ahem)around with a finger. Again, this is just my opinion. You may not agree.
Online banking apps are scarce for UK banks. If it's a necessity, investigate first. Personally, on the odd occasion when I've needed it, I just use Internet Explorer (which is really good).
YouTube and Gmail both work perfectly fine. Gmail is pulled into the main media stream when you first set the phone up.
A case and screen protector? No, not required! It comes with a thin skin for some minor protection but that's all that is required.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 16:13:54 GMT
Hi.
Thank you for your prompt reply and great advice , its very assuring asking one in the know if you get my drift.
Thats helped alot are you able to advise if its a micro sim on this nokia lumina 800 as this is a tiny problem having a normal sim but im hoping 3 mobile will swapstraight over if thats a possibilty?
Thank you for all your honest advise im happy to say ill be ordering one pay day , so only a few days to go .
One last question I dont use a computer much and do 90% on my mobile heres hoping I can do likewise on this Nokia 800 .
Many thanks .
Regards Pete.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 16:33:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2013 16:35:25 GMT
It's a microsim socket.
The provider should be able to get a replacement SIM sent to you or otherwise you can convert it yourself with a pair of scissors.

Micro Sim Card Cutter + 2 Adapter For iPhone 4 4G Ipad

You've said you have one last question but not actually asked anything???

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 17:08:37 GMT
Hi.
Sorry about thats typing on my android for you and using dolpin mini browser for you.
The question was is a computer needed for this nokia 800 or can you get by without constant plugging in , I do have access to a computer but prefer not to if possible, this is why I use mobile for nearly everything now.
I hope this has come out ok as this method is getting a bit of a chore via this mobile , like youve said stuttering taking longer to action process via my samsung android.
Regards Pete

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 17:20:23 GMT
Hi Pete,

It's just about impossible to answer really as I don't know what you use a phone for?
I do have mine attached to my computer when I'm at home or using Tethering out and about, this is mainly for battery charging though.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 19:01:22 GMT
Hi.
Many thanks for all your advise and time in answering many of my concerns.
You have been very helpful and I wish you a great new year.
Thank you.