1.0 out of 5 stars Adobe fail!, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I would love to be able to write a review of this software, but so far I have failed to get it to even start! Adobe in their infinite wisdom now require you to create an account with them in order to use the software - its not enough to pay good money, enter the serial number and actually be able to use what you've paid for. I already had an Adobe account from a while back, but that one is apparently no longer valid and cannot be used with this software! I hate software that forces you to create yet another unnecessary account that can be hacked from some faceless corporations server. Even after creating a new account, I'm still waiting for their servers to register my new account meaning that I can't use the software until then. Had I know I would have to do this before hand, I would never have purchased this software and stuck with the freeware software packages such as GIMP which are immensely powerful in their own right.

I know Abode will claim this is all in the name of software copyright etc, but this is an annoying step too far.

To be fair to Amazon, the software was delivered in less than 48 hours on the super saver delivery, so I cant fault them, but Adobe have gone too far this time and I will never purchase one of their products again!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Nov 2013 08:23:54 GMT
Paul Gregory says:
Interesting to read the comment about not having to buy an additional package, I was looking to buy this until I read the previous comment. May make a purchase now.

Posted on 30 Nov 2013 18:39:25 GMT
M. Wright says:
Thanks to M Widgers review I cancelled my intention to order Adobe Elements 12, having been frustrated with earlier Adobe software, requiring the need to open up personal accounts with all the attendant risks of fraud. Buy goods over the counter or on line with the simple use of your card details. Downloading these programmes is never simple - Thanks again for the warning!
Mike Images

Posted on 1 Dec 2013 13:36:45 GMT
I guess what you have encountered is fall out from the recent disasterous hacking and theft from Adobe of 2.5 million customers' accounts including credit card details and pass words. To ask you to open a new account under these circumstances is shurely to protect your personal details from now on.
Rangeroverkid

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 19:29:38 GMT
Scouser says:
Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)--- Rangeroverkid, I think you may have missed the point of the objection - You cannot get hacked if your details haven't been recorded in the first place, hence the objection to having to register at all!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2013 08:48:13 GMT
I don't think I missed the point and I quote "I already had an Adobe account from a while back, but that one is apparently no longer valid and cannot be used with this software!" so what I said was that your old account details WERE hacked from Adobe.

Posted on 2 Dec 2013 11:02:22 GMT
M. Widger says:
rangeroverkid,

My objection is to paying for a boxed edition and having to register yet another account with Adobe just to run the software! I am more than happy to enter a serial number and have it validated against an authorisation server, but object to having to create an account to use a product I have purchased. Cybercrime is huge (and growing) and as I have already been the victim of a bank hacking, I'm vigilant in who I trust my information with. I was aware of the hacking against Adobe, but at no time have they ever tried to contact me to inform me that my details may or may not have been stolen or my security compromised. This may have been due to my account being 4 years old and rarely used but to me this is unethical and based on this I will never trust Adobe with my personal information. To be fair to Adobe, this could have happened to any software supplier that uses this type of registration/authorisation hence why I try and steer clear of this sort of software when I can. Having trawled the plentiful on-line reviews for Elements, I cannot find a single one that mentions the need to register in this was which is a major failing of the reviewers in my opinion. Had this information been made available in any of the on-line reviews, I would not have purchased this and we would not be having this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2013 12:09:37 GMT
Linda Cooper says:
I was looking for some info on the use of the package rather than a rant about registration. If your worried about security use a different email and create a secure password only for this product. Its very easy to create worry and paranoia for others and this is not a product review. And no I don't work for Adobe.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 03:12:54 GMT
MJB says:
Please be clear from the outset that I am a long-time user of a number of Adobe products, but am not employed by them and have no other relationship with them.

On 23 October 2013 Adobe wrote to ALL UK residents (and I believe in the rest of the world) whose information MIGHT have been hacked in this incident - if you did not receive this, then either it got lost in the post (which would hardly be Adobe's fault) or they had good reason to believe that your account had NOT been among those hacked. Why on earth would you expect anyone write to tell you that you had not been hacked? Careless perhaps, but to accuse them of being unethical is, quite frankly, utterly beyond belief. No business with an iota of sanity would write to 10s of millions of unaffected customers (worldwide) to tell them that nothing has happened!!!

Were I reviewing the software, I too would not consider mentioning the need for registration - although nowhere near universal, it is extremely commonplace. Activation and registration are completely separate issues and the latter is NOT mandatory, but without it you cannot (and nor can you reasonably expect to) qualify for additional services, such as technical support and cloud storage.

M. Widger, it would appear that your position is ill-informed and because of this you are wrongly informing other prospective customers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›