5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Ranger Extender & Set Top Box Adapter, 6 July 2012
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter with USB Charger (Personal Computers)
TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router.

Amazing, small but a very powerful product.

My parents have their Sky Broadband Router upstairs so they have always struggled to get the wireless internet in their Kitchen and the back Garden. Having looked at many products I came across TL-WR702N Nano Router which offers 5 Different Set Up Modes; Access Point, Client, Bridge, Repeater & Router for Cable Modems (Virgin Cable Broadband) for fraction of the price when compared to the other similar featured products.

Out of the 5 Modes you can set up this router as; I have set it up as a Repeater Mode in my parents house, which not only works as a Wireless Ranger Extender, (extending the wireless range of the existing internet/network) but it also allowed me to connect my parents SKY+ HD Box via the Ethernet Port using the Ethernet Cable so my parents could utilise the SKY+ Anytime Services. Baring in mind SKY charge 60 for a similar device.

My parents loved the device because it is neat small and good looking enough to blend in well with the other electronic devices beside the TV. Now this Nano Router sits beside my parents TV working as a Range Extender whilst the SKY Router sits up stairs and at the same time allowing my parents to utilise the SKY Anytime+ Services. I couldn't have asked more from this tiny little product.

Also, whilst in the Repeater Mode, using the Ethernet Port I have also tired other multimedia devices such as BluRay Player, Samrt TV, Freeview+ Box, Wii and my NAS Hard Drive and they all worked great and soon I will be buying one for my self.

Well done TP-Link for making our lives easier without a huge price tag :)

The manual shows you how to set this device up in Repeater Mode which is really easy & simple to do but for those of you who prefer video based instructions see the YouTube link in the comments below.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 02:08:56 GMT
onlyme120 says:
In answer to an earlier question. If you are using this as wireless receiver for a Sky+ box it can NOT be powered via the USB port on a Sky+ box, it will need to be plugged into the mains power to work.

I even tried plugging the USB into a close by DVD player and Wi console. This powered up the device, but not enough to get it working properly. It seems it will only work on USB via a computer USB port, otherwise it will need to be plugged in to mains power.

I doubt I would have been able to set it up without the instruction links provided in this comments section. I also found that a couple of times in the set up process, particularly if you remove power - the TP took down my BT Homehub router - it just completely crashed and had to be reset - will keep and eye on that and if necessary dump the TP altogether if it continues to take my router down.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 09:59:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2012 09:59:43 GMT
M.A-C says:
Hi onlyme120,

Many thanks for letting us know that the WR702N cannot be powered by the USB on the Sky+ HD Box or a DVD Player with a USB Port.

With regards to your BT Home Hub crashing during the WR702N set-up process is something that I have not heard of; especially when I have couple of family friends who are using WR702N in Repeater Mode with their BT Home Hubs!

I am running one WR702N in Repeater Mode at my parents with Sky ADSL Router and one at my house with Virgin Media Super Hub and have not come across where both of the routers were crashing during the set-up process.

TP-LINK have a new Firmware on their website so I would suggest that you upgrade your WR702N with the latest firmware and then set it up as a Repeater Mode and see if that takes care of the problem.

N.B. Reset/Factory Default your WR702N Prior to Firmware Upgrade & for when Setting it up.

Firmware: TL-WR702N_V1_120530
Published Date: 30.05.2012
Download Link: http://uk.tp-link.com/Resources/software/TL-WR702N_V1.0_120530.zip

If the problem still persists you may want to get in touch with TP-LINK's Technical Support.

TP-LINK Technical Support:
E-mail: http://uk.tp-link.com/support/contact/
Hotline: http://uk.tp-link.com/support/contact/?categoryid=530

Hope this helps :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 17:29:12 GMT
onlyme120 says:
Thanks for the guidance; I'll go onto the TP site and download the new Firmware, hopefully that will solve any conflicts with my Homehub 3. If not I'll contact the TP helpline. I'll post back what happens.

I would never have been able to set up this device without the links you guys provided on the TP web site (particularly M.A.C). The device is now working well with a Sky+ box and repeating my wifi signal, all seems stable. Thank again for providing the Firmware and support links.

The specifics of the crash are that I connected the device to my Sky+ box and plugged in the power. The Sky+ box said it couldn't get a network signal, so I checked my BT Homehub 3 router and it was blank - like the power had been removed. I therefore reset my Sky+ box with the TP connected via the network cable port. Re-set (switched off /on) my router and all worked perfectly. I tried this three times to check it was not a one-off. Seems like the when the TP is
first plugged into / or removed from the Sky+ box it takes down the router.

Hopefully the Firmware will resolve that as I want to buy several other of these devices for some other electrical equipment.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›