5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Ranger Extender & Set Top Box Adapter, 6 July 2012
TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router.

Amazing, small but a very powerful product.

My parents have their Sky Broadband Router upstairs so they have always struggled to get the wireless internet in their Kitchen and the back Garden. Having looked at many products I came across TL-WR702N Nano Router which offers 5 Different Set Up Modes; Access Point, Client, Bridge, Repeater & Router for Cable Modems (Virgin Cable Broadband) for fraction of the price when compared to the other similar featured products.

Out of the 5 Modes you can set up this router as; I have set it up as a Repeater Mode in my parents house, which not only works as a Wireless Ranger Extender, (extending the wireless range of the existing internet/network) but it also allowed me to connect my parents SKY+ HD Box via the Ethernet Port using the Ethernet Cable so my parents could utilise the SKY+ Anytime Services. Baring in mind SKY charge £60 for a similar device.

My parents loved the device because it is neat small and good looking enough to blend in well with the other electronic devices beside the TV. Now this Nano Router sits beside my parents TV working as a Range Extender whilst the SKY Router sits up stairs and at the same time allowing my parents to utilise the SKY Anytime+ Services. I couldn't have asked more from this tiny little product.

Also, whilst in the Repeater Mode, using the Ethernet Port I have also tired other multimedia devices such as BluRay Player, Samrt TV, Freeview+ Box, Wii and my NAS Hard Drive and they all worked great and soon I will be buying one for my self.

Well done TP-Link for making our lives easier without a huge price tag :)

The manual shows you how to set this device up in Repeater Mode which is really easy & simple to do but for those of you who prefer video based instructions see the YouTube link in the comments below.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jul 2012 13:13:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jul 2012 15:35:29 BDT
M.A-C says:
The manual shows you how to set this device up in Repeater Mode which is really easy & simple to do but for those you prefer video based instructions see the YouTube link below.

YouTube Video:

Posted on 29 Aug 2012 17:41:51 BDT
lottieliu says:
bought this after reading your review, but set it up in client mode to use with Sky Any time+
I followed the instrction on their website as the instructions in the box don't tell you how to set up client mode? http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=395 works Great !! thanks

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 17:25:21 BDT
Ghio says:
canned reviews much?

Posted on 4 Nov 2012 13:36:11 GMT
onlyme120 says:
You said in your review that you set this to work in two modes simulationsly. One, mode as a wireless range extender and another mode in client mode to receive a wireless signal for a sky+ service. is that possible with this device? Or did I miss something. After reading other reviews and the support material it seems only possible to have the device working in one mode at one time ie; as either a wireless extender or as a wireless receiver for the sky box. What mode did you set it up in to get it work work both in receive and transmit as you say in your review?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 03:46:39 GMT
Hi there,

I have set this device as a Repeater Mode (also known as wireless range extender), this is so it extends and strengthens my existing Wireless Network whilst also providing internet access via the Ethernet Port on this device to any other Ethernet enabled devices such as Sky+ HD Box.

Alternatively, you can configure this device as Client Mode which will just provide internet access via the Ethernet Port on the device to to any other Ethernet enabled devices.

Hope this helps.

Please see the link below on how to set this device up as a Client or Repeater Mode.

How to Configure Repeater Mode on TL-WR702N

How to Configure Client Mode on TL-WR702N

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 10:27:34 GMT
onlyme120 says:
OK thanks, I see now how you got it to work in both modes (extend wireless range and provide Internet connectivity to the sky box). That"s extremely useful to know as I will be doing the same. It wasn't immediately obvious how that worked from reading the information on the TP Link site, but your review and the addional info you provide has been very helpful. thanks for taking the time to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 18:23:24 GMT
I'm interested in purchasing one of these devices primarily to onnect a Sky+HD box to my wifi. Does the device need a power supply and if so is it supplied with the device?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 18:32:45 GMT
onlyme120 says:
I am thinking of purchasing one these for the same purpose. From my research it looks like it can be powered through the network port on your sky+ box that then goes to the TP. As a worse case scenario, you would have to use the micro USB cable (that comes with the device) that would go from the TP box to the full size USB port on your sky+ box - that would definitely power it. The TP manual specifically says it does not require external power. However, I don't have one yet so maybe someone who has one and uses it for the same purpose can chime in with the definitive answer.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 20:16:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2012 20:16:23 GMT
Hi onlyme120,

I am powering my WR702N using the USB Cable & the Power Adapter supplied by TP-LINK in the box. However, I have also powered the device using the supplied USB Cable via the USB Port on my laptop and it has worked. I am not entirely sure if the USB Port on the Sky+ HD Box will have enough voltage to power this device and I am unable to find any technical specification on the Sky+ HD Box to confirm the USB Voltage on the Sky+ HD Box. So, I guess you wont know until you try it! If the Sky+ HD Box's USB Port doesn't power the device then simply just use the supplied Power Adapter & the USB Cable.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 20:16:55 GMT