5.0 out of 5 stars A TV classic resurrected - 3 cheers for DVD, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Mystery And Imagination - The Complete Series (All the remaining episodes) [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I used to love this series when it was on TV. My friend & I were avid watchers and would compare notes at school on Monday. Early episodes were introduced by a character played by David Buck (tasy - whatever happened to him?) who also featured in some of the stories (e.g. Room 13). It is a shame more of the early episodes were not kept - others that particularly come to mind were the chilling Lost hearts (who could forget those bloody holes in the children's chests?) and one that featured Bruce Forsyth in the Canterville ghost. Fall of the House of Usher was very good so I'm pleased that is here.
Classic drama based on stories by the great writers of supernatural & horror (MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu etc) that featured big names - pity there is a such a shortage of quality drama made for TV now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 32 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 20:11:45 GMT
Algy says:
Don't forget 'The Beckoning Shadow' - that scared the Hell out of me ...!

The one with a young Edward Woodward (either 'The Listner' or 'The watcher')

'The Tell Tale Heart' was spooky too

one where David Buck kept seeing the long dead corpse of a old man - later he discovers the dead man sat at a insect covered table in a forgotten room (anyone know the title ?)

'Casting the Runes' was spooky and 'Lost Hearts' with the scary 'noise from across the lake' and the conclusion of the torn out heart on the fire was memorable....

is my memory correct ? - in 'Room 13' where David Buck looks out the window of his room & on the wall of the building opposite he sees the reflection of the room 13 that should be part of his large room - in it he can see the silouette of a demonic little 'Goblin' figure is doing a manic dance ....

at the end they find satanic verse & items in the 'wall' between rooms 12 and 14...the wall of 'room 13'
BBC did a colour remake years later that was about as frightening as an episode of 'Hector's House' !

I found, even at the time they were shown on ITV, that the later colour 'Tales of Mystery & Imagination' were an insipid pale shadow of the earlier b/w ones (those mostly now lost)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2012 00:46:17 GMT
R. Lang says:
Yes Joey, you certainly know the classic episodes of Mystery and Imagination! Still can't believe those thick heads wiping all these golden nuggets, of probably the highest quality in horror plays. Probably made on the tighest budget imaginable.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2012 11:13:11 GMT
S. Finch says:
Let's hope some lost tapes will surface. The series had some really classy actors too

Posted on 29 May 2012 23:33:40 BDT
Exkingzog says:
The (BBC?) did a later, colour, adaptation of "Lost Hearts" which is still available but the older version was altogether a scarier prospect. I'm with A. Prouse on this!!! And blood always looks worse in black and white, c.f. "Night Of The Living Dead" et al.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 13:51:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2012 13:52:24 BDT
I saw the later version and was very disappointed. It seemed so tame compared to the original! I was too heartsick to even want to see the remake a second time but when it was repeated not too long ago I did watch. Yes, it disappointed again!

The original story is brief and lacking in gore so it was the vision and skill of the original writer/director/cast that made the b/w version so chilling. I am still sad that this film footage has been lost. I still hope that one day, miraculously, a forgotten copy will emerge from some retired (or deceased?) TV fan or BBC Luvvie's attic or basement!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 19:29:19 GMT
sheila says:
I really wanted this episode (Lost Hearts) like You it scared the life out of me! I was only 9 and my brother was babysitting me & let me stay up to watch it....I am now 56 and still get the heeby-geebies if I pass the open bathroom door in the dark! I wanted to see it again in adulthood to lay some ghosts to rest. I saw the later version but its not a patch on the old one. I wonder if perhaps someone somewhere has a recording of it, They would make a furtune as Im sure there are 1000s of people out there who have been traumatised since the 1960s having seen this most scariest of TV plays

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 10:57:12 GMT
R. Lang says:
Yes Sheila, I remember it as if it was aired yesterday! VERY scary, and zero special effects. The 70s remake isn't as good, and it has just been released in a box set by the BBC along with many more M.R. James stories. I just ordered mine. Keep your fingers crossed about the 60s missing episodes of Mystery and Imagination. What thickos they must be for wiping all these wonderful shows. TV today is garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 11:21:28 GMT
S. Finch says:
I could not agree more. The cast of the original series included some fine actors too. Although they did not have all the computer generated special effects they did a great job without.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 11:36:21 GMT
sheila says:
Im a real sucker for the "Old stuff" Amazon is great for getting all the old TV dramas, The Dutchess of Duke Street, The Straus Family etc, Ive bought loads of them. We all know the scenery wobbles a bit and the acting may seem a bit ameture by todays standards, But there were great stories in them and they were able to take us on journies without too much technology. Also I love the old black and white Hollywood films with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford etc. Ive got lots of them on Amazon too. Trouble is I dont have the time to watch them. I wonder will the films and TV of today invoke memories in 30 or 40 yrs time? Somehow I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 20:43:55 GMT
R. Lang says:
All so called modern dramas are done by film, where as the early years were with video camera, so it looks like you are acually there with the actors. The new version is like watching a movie, and I find it cold and clinicle. I never watch modern drama nowadays, as they bore me. The BBC and ITV regions have no idea what is in their vaults. BBC4 has a lot of good stuff, especially vintage rock shows from Old Grey Whistle Test.

Review Details