1.0 out of 5 stars Painful to read, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Screw Business as Usual (Paperback)
Let me start out by saying I am a huge Richard Branson fan. All the work that he's done, continues to do, and has a super hot daughter, sounds like an awesome guy. But this book was so very awful, that I had to create an account on amazon to review it (something I would normally never take the time to do). Moving on...

I bought Branson's first book "Losing My Virginity" and it was awesome. I was hooked on every word, and captivated the whole way through. It was so detailed and well written that I felt as though I personally knew who Branson was by the final pages. Before I was even done with the book I went and ordered every other book he's written in the hopes that they would be as entertaining as his first. Sadly that wasn't the case.

I started reading this masturbatory pile of garbage with the same enthusiasm as his first book. But after around 50 pages, I started to fear that I'd made a terrible mistake. I began skimming chapters and catching a few sentences every few pages before I got to around page 100 and closed the book. Nothing against Branson himself, but this whole story could have been summed up in a pamphlet entitled "Here's what I've done, here's all of the famous people I've talked to, People should strive to be as awesome as me".

We get it Richard, your awesome. Virgin Unite is awesome. You do cool stuff that benefits people that most people will never get the chance to do. Thumbs up! But simply displaying the awesome things you've been able to do with your awesome wealth, and awesome connections, facilitated by your awesome wealth seems like it would just make people depressed.

So why do people continue to give this book 5 stars?

If you've never read anything by Branson, this might seem like a cool book. Hearing about the awesome things other people do for other people can be inspiring I guess. Other people may think that if you give a book about a non-profit a bad review, it means you're giving the non-profit a bad review (which is simply not the case). But personally, I'm now scared to read the other books I've bought by him, for fear that one of my hero's reputation maybe be tarnished by another 372 page advertisement of one of his business ventures, which is what douches like Bono do. Very disappointing.

It might have gotten better (I just couldn't finish it), but I'm guessing it didn't. My only thought/hope is that he published this "book" with the intent of catching a ride on the "Green Revolution" train and wanted to raise awareness about his non-profit work. Because anyone that runs a non-profit knows that one of the hardest parts about it is raising awareness. This book didn't work for me in that regard, but everyone makes mistakes (especially the editors for letting this rubbish reach circulation).

In closing, This book was AWFUL! I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you really want a copy, you can find mine at the local charity shop. His other book, "Losing my Virginity", unbelievably awesome! Definitely buy it! Hopefully his other books will be better.

Still much love for Branson and the deafening awesomeness of the Virgin Empire.

[Add comment]