4.0 out of 5 stars Great for dresses and skirts, 4 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts and Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker (Hardcover)
Length:: 5:50 Mins

As other reviewers have said, this is not what one might expect. I think you need to see for yourself because some of the projects are fantastic and others less so, but you may want something more ordinary - less young, slim and sexy. These are 'make them or leave them' items - not simple patterns that you can adapt but ones that, if you do like them, you will wish to follow exactly, with maybe some small alterations such as, in my case, lengthening the half-length sleeves or stopping short of the gathered wrist. You can't really see the textures of the patterns in my video. These tend to be quite subtle, although the long blue cardigan has a bold pattern that reminds me of extra-large crochet and the skirt, which I described as having a whacky pattern, has a fairly large zigzag pattern, though not too outrageous. The second skirt has a subtler, though still very interesting textural pattern. There's a very nice, subtle texture on the Pavement Jacket (with garter-stitch sleeves) and the red dress is worked in reverse stocking stitch with a kind of mock smocking at the waist, which I wrongly described as ribbing - it is more of a basket-weave design. The wrap-around dress is worked in a smart woven rib. The Annie Hat, named from Woody Allen's Annie Hall, is stiffened with pipe cleaners, which is very clever. If you like this hat, check out Annie Modesitt's books. In fact, her Romantic Hand Knits is similar in terms of the sex appeal, so if you like this book you will probably like that one too.
Note: I missed off a dress somehow, which has a cowl neck and is sleeveless, straight and very simple, ending above the knee.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Apr 2011 15:33:06 BDT
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to create this visual - it's really helpful (and you have a lovely clear voice). I won't be buying the book - that's as a result of reading the reviews and watching the video - and I'm pleased to have the cash free ready for buying something more to my style. Once again, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2011 15:42:45 BDT
That's okay. I've bought many a knitting pattern because someone said it was fantastic, only to find that their idea of a stylish item was very different from mine.

Posted on 23 Apr 2011 11:32:17 BDT
J Reddy says:
Thanks for taking the time to post this review, I was wondering whether to buy this book but there are too many dresses for my liking. I much prefer Wendy Bernard's book and will stick with that one for now.

Posted on 26 Apr 2011 10:41:38 BDT
Susie Q says:
What a really good review!! Thankyou for the trouble you have gone to to ensure it is right for the buyer. I seem to knit for everyone but myself. I am very tempted to buy this book and do myself a couple of knitted dresses!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2011 11:52:41 BDT
Go on, treat yourself!

Posted on 19 May 2011 13:15:31 BDT
Thank you very much for the video! Most informative.

Posted on 8 Jun 2011 08:49:44 BDT
Suki says:
You are so kind to take the time and trouble to do this. I had never thought of knitting a dress, but I feel very inspired. So, thank you, and I do hope the publisher and author contact you to do so as well! Amazon should at least send you a voucher!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2011 10:22:24 BDT
That's very nice of you. You have inspired me to do more video reviews.

Posted on 8 Jul 2011 01:12:02 BDT
Jenny J says:
Oh my gosh! You have gone to so much trouble...what an absolutely fantastic review. It has saved me buying the book, because although there are a couple of patterns that I vaguely fancy, it would have been a waste to spend that amount of money on only two patterns. So thank you so much. Wonderful.

Posted on 14 Nov 2011 08:51:32 GMT
Maggie says:
This is really great review, thank you for helping me make my mind. This book is definitely not for my mother in law but at least I avoid her dissapointment :). Thank you again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›