4.0 out of 5 stars know when to walk away, know when to run, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) (Video Game)
Having loved previous Fall-Out titles I was eager to get my hands on this. Like many previous reviewers have stated it is buggy, and while it should be unacceptable for a new release, it's not all that bad. People have also said that it's like one big DLC but I have to disagree. Sure it has much in common with Fall-Out 3 but it is still in the Fall-Out world so there's bound to be many similarities. However there are plenty of differences, like modding weapons, reputation, the use of ingrediants around camp-fires, a hardcore mode and companion perks. They have put a bit more enphasis on the RPG side which is good.
My main gripe is with the lack of evolution within the game's engine. This is essentially the same as used in Oblivion which is over four years old now. Not a lots changed. While you can't compare this to games like Uncharted 2 graphically I think it could be more closely comparable to Red Dead Redemption and it looks four years old. The loading times can get really annoying. I spent fifteen minutes opening a door, fast travelling, opening another door, walked a little bit, opened another door, talked to somebody then had to do it all again going the other way. The game design and map design doesn't help with all of this.
I still really like this game but it's faults keep nagging so I can't cleanly say I love it. However in a year when the games I've bought, while great, have been over really quickly and rely on multiplayer for replay value this will have hours and hours of playing time.
If you loved Fallout 3 you'll probably buy this. If you haven't I'd recommend buying that instead, and by the time you've completed it this will have come down in price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Nov 2010 01:14:52 GMT
Completely agree with your review. People that haven't played Fallout 3 should buy the GOTY edition and play through that, then in 6 months time when you're finished New Vegas will have the bugs ironed out and will probably be a lot cheaper.

Posted on 15 Nov 2010 19:00:59 GMT
street-legal says:
Having played 20 odd hours of it myself, this seems like the most honest and level headed review. The freeze ups have only happened twice and I don't think that's any worse than a lot of games. That loading time is pretty irritating though isn't it? More than once I have wondered whether to look inside a house and then thought that its not really worth the effort....

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 16:41:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2010 16:44:36 GMT
Atticman says:
Well the price has certainly dropped, and like a stone! I'm guessing the bugs have just put too many people off, even me. For me it's not just the cost, it's the time investment. I'm not really prepared to invest up to 100 hours in a title which could suffer a game ending bug at any time, not when my Xbox time is limited to a few hours a week due to other priorities. Hopefully they'll patch the hell out of it, in which case maybe I'll pick it up, cos I loved Fallout 3. In fact, I didn't ever finish all the side missions in that, so maybe I'll just go back and play that while Black Isle work on a patch.
You;re right about the engine though, they need to rebuild that thing from the ground up cos it's looking very dated and is obviously struggling under the weight of such a huge game world. Red Dead was seamless in comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2010 20:56:43 GMT
The new Elder Scrolls is coming out next year so I suspect they'll use the engine (which is new) from that. I read that they've brought a patch out but still lots of problems prominent. I don't know what the Xbox 360 version of this game is like but as it was programmed for it and then ported across to the Playstation3 I would imagine it runs a lot smoother.

Posted on 29 May 2012 18:59:29 BDT
Mrrico says:
This review is 100% accurate. Some of the loading times whilst not to bad one at a time can get pretty boring when you have to pass through several doors in a short period of time. This does happen a lot in this game. BUT it is excellent and totally absorbing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›