5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Screen, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: DGM IPS-2701WPH LCD Monitor (Personal Computers)
This is a gorgeous screen. It looks amazing with my macbook connected via displayport. I could't get full resolution on DVI but that it because my mini dp to dvi adapter doesn't support dual link which is a shame.

I asked what cables come with the monitor before I bought but the language barrier gave me an ambiguous answer. I can confirm that included with the monitor are the following:
- DVI cable which IS dual link
- VGA cable
- 3.5mm stereo jack audio cable
- power brick with UK adapter
- Obviously also the monitor and attached stand

A lot of people on the internet were unimpressed by the stand on this but I'm completely happy with it. It's not the sturdiest stand ever (SEE UPDATE 17 MONTHS ON BELOW), and no it doesn't swivel 360 degrees in any direction, but it does the job well if you only plan on using it in landscape like I do, and it looks nice too. It has a vesa mount thingy on the back anyway if you want to spend extra money on a nicer stand.

It works well with my xbox 360 over HDMI (not the newest model) It is best at 720p resolution as this is just quadrupling pixels, rather than weird scaling with 1080p. Also it could be just in my head but it seems to be ever so slightly quicker to respond when played at 720p with xbox games.

VGA works great with my thinkpad... not much to say there.

Speakers are absolutely horrendous, but that's no reason to be put off. My macbook pro speakers are 10 times better, let alone any real speakers. Just turn the volume down to 0 and connect your pc aux out to some speakers. You can get audio adapters for xbox as well. There unfortunately is no audio out port on the monitor, It would have been nice to be able to plug speakers into the monitor and then get sound over HDMI for xbox and DP for laptop, but it's not a big issue.

Overall I'm giving this 5 stars because of the amazing value of the product. The only "problems" are the speakers and lack of audio out, which most monitors don't have anyway so that doesn't deduct any stars!

Highly reccomend!!!

UPDATE 4 MONTHS ON: I've been using this monitor on a daily basis and it's still performing great. Now have a digital HD TV tuner hooked up so I can watch freeview HD as well as game/work on my laptop. Only thing I would say is - the price appears to be rising fairly rapidly, it was £300 not 5 months ago and has now risen to £420. Still a bargain in my eyes but would suggest a quick purchase if you are considering it to avoid being stung. (Also if you buy from Overclockers UK I believe it is still at £360)

UPDATE 12 MONTHS ON: The power supply has blown. I've contacted DGM by email but don't expect much from what I've heard on the internet and I think it was purchased over 12 months ago so out of warranty. I've bought a power supply on ebay because I can't wait for replies from DGM and I'm impatient. I'll let you know how it goes. Removing a star for this.

UPDATE 17 MONTHS ON: The power supply started working again immediately after I received the replacement. I thought about returning it but kept it as a spare, and just as well as it has just stopped working again. I am now using the display with a gaming PC running at full 1440p resolution, and it's serving me pretty well. I'm getting pretty good FPS and I can't really notice any input lag. Also seems that the price has stabilised a bit.

ADDING TO LAST UPDATE: It seems the power supply really has died this time. I've been thinking about purchasing another one of these for a while for a dual monitor setup, and since I won't be able to get my spare power supply for a while, this was the perfect opportunity. I ordered the other screen from another website where it was cheaper, with cheap next day delivery (Sorry Amazon) but it has come with a different stand. DGM seem to be supplying this monitor with a much better stand now. It attaches via the VESA mount on the back rather than the little stalk on my old one, and therefore is a lot sturdier. The monitor now tilts much further (and stays there) and also rotates, though you still can't change the height. Despite the power supply issue I've decided to re-add the 5th star due to the new stand.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Dec 2012 16:27:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2012 16:28:17 GMT
Ronski says:
How glossy is the screen, can you see reflections in it? My laptop is glossy and at times it's like looking in a mirror!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2013 00:59:59 BDT
mwilkins says:
Sorry I've only just seen this. It's a fairly glossy screen, less glossy than the displays on apple Macbook pros and Cinema displays. I'd equate it to the retina macbook pro if you've used one.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2013 11:49:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2013 11:50:48 BDT
Ronski says:
Not a problem, I went for the Dell U2713HM in the end, fantastic monitor and managed to get a brand new one at a bargain price of £380 inc P&P off of Ebay, and it has an anti glare coating, so is perfect.

Posted on 29 Dec 2014 12:11:25 GMT
Hi there,

Do you remember where you bought your power supply from (i.e. supplier details) as my one blew and DGM are impossible to contact, so need to source a decent new one.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2015 12:49:52 GMT
mwilkins says:
Hi,

I bought my replacement power supply from hunter_field on eBay. The original PSU is 24V at 6A, but the replacement I bought is 24V at 5A and works fine. I'm afraid there are quite a few options on their eBay shop, but if you message them I expect they will help out.

Make sure the connector is the correct polarity as some displays use a different polarity. Again if you're having trouble I expect the eBay seller should be able to help out.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2015 13:22:36 BDT
Thanks. I eventually bought the bullet and snapped up the same from Hunterfield. I was a bit worried about getting a 5A supply (vs. a 6A or higher amped supply), but it works fine. Good to have my 27" behemoth back and working! Thanks again for the advice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›