5.0 out of 5 stars Still love it, 8 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Katherine (Paperback)
I recently read Alison Weir's excellent book about Katherine Swynford. It is meticulously researched, particularly bearing in mind the very little concrete information that exists about Katherine, and produces a fascinating portrait. It was, however, also hard to read because I have loved Anya Seton's novel since I was a teenager and unfortunately Alison Weir's book does expose some fairly irrefutible flaws in Seton's historical details. So, I was unsure when I picked up the novel again whether it would still hold the same charm for me, and am so pleased that it did. It's little like having one's eyes opened to the faults of a loved one - if they're worth it you still love them anyway - perhaps even more so. What is important for me is that the biography has done nothing to detract from the portrayal of the main characters - if anything it enhances, and as for accurate historical detail - well, this is a novel, and still a good one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2008 17:13:34 GMT
CJ says:
Hi Deborah. I read this book for the first time relatively recently and loved it. I was also thinking of getting Alison Weir's book -its on my Wish List. I enjoy books which mix accurate history with some fiction. The Fates would have been perfect for me had it been what is was cracked up to be!

BTW I have re-submitted my Ideal Wife review for now so the comments have disappeared. This afternoon was really creepy for a while - I really hope they are all banned.

Don't want to come the TG fan with you but have you ever read or heard of Dorothy Dunnett - the Lymond Chronicles and the Niccolo books? I have reviewed them - can't recommend them highly enough if you are into that sort of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2008 17:44:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2008 09:20:10 GMT
Deborah says:
Hi CJ - Glad you loved Katherine. I've read a few of her others too, but this is by far my favourite.

I saw you'd cleared the Ideal Wife review and I think that's best. Amazon really came up trumps, I think.

I haven't read any Dorothy Dunnett, but I'll certainly take a look, thanks.

UPDATE:

These look really good - how could I have missed them? (Always supposing I can trust the reviewers . . . . !) Seriously, I think they seem well worth a look.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2008 08:05:42 GMT
CJ says:
They are truly brilliant (IMO) but sadly not always easy to get hold of. I had to get most of mine 2nd hand via Amazon or ABE books but they were so worth it. The historical background is immensely well researched and accurate. If you do give them a go I'd love to know what you think!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2008 14:39:38 GMT
Deborah says:
I have just received The Game of Kings 2nd hand via Amazon. I've got a pile to work through, reading CJ Sansom's three Matthew Shardlake books and Pat McIntosh's The Nicholas Feast (I'm in a real murder-mystery frame of mind) and then I'll read the Dunnett. I'm looking forward to it!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 22:16:54 GMT
Oscar says:
So did you read them? and if so what did you think of them

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 09:43:44 BDT
Deborah says:
Yes I did - read my reviews! :) I loved them.

Posted on 28 Apr 2014 14:20:57 BDT
Some six years after you made the customer review, I wanted to so agree with you on both Katherine and the AW Katherine Swynford...so totally right in your comment on loving them even more!! Think Anya Seton was generally so formative (Winthrop Woman, My Theodosia also rank).... am I the only person who had to go to Les Landes for her honeymoon having read Katherine ???!!!! Just ticking "yes" on was this review helpful...didn't quite seem enough ! So thank you

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2014 20:42:46 BDT
Deborah says:
Much appreciated! I do agree about Anya Seton - The Winthrop Woman is my next favourite, I think. I only read My Theodosia once, many years ago, and remember that I found it difficult, though I can't remember why. Perhaps it's time to give it another try.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›