3.0 out of 5 stars Okay so I actually give it 3++ stars..., 3 April 2008
This review is from: Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle Trilogy) (Hardcover)
...the only reason it doesn't get 4 is because other books that I've reviewed on here and given 4 are better. Fairs fair.

Okay, this book, along with 'A Great and Terrible Beauty' are good, pretty gripping books (to a certain extent), and i'll certainly want to read the third one. However, I only bought this book because I was out of my mind with boredom and I couldn't find anything else that I fancied. Also, I found that I could quite willing leave the book for a break to go and watch TV or something. Coming from me, a girl who lets nothing (including uni work) get in the way of finishing a good novel, I think that speaks volumes!

The lead character is a girl who has a modern personality in a novel set in the 18th century, or around that time anyway, and everytime she has a bit of modern rebelion I think it jarrs a bit with her setting. I'm all for a fiesty heroine who wants to escape the bonds placed on her by society, but make it a bit more believable please...

Her 'friends' consist of a girl who bullied her in the first novel, and continues to show flashes of that cruel streak throughout both the novels, making me wonder why Gemma was friends with such a back-stabbing, malicious and spiteful little girl in the first place! This really bugs me. It makes for good reading, granted, but to me it doesn't quite ring true...Gemma is not meek enough to be following the crowd or sucking up to this girl because she's scared of her, so why does she stand for it??
However, that said, a secret is revealed in this novel about Felicity which goes some way to explaining why she pushes away and aims to hurt those closest to her.

A new love intrest is introduced in this novel which makes things a tad more exciting, however how it ends is very frustrating and makes the reader wonder why Gemma doesn't just try to articulate herself better, or think of better lies! Wanting to know how her love life sorts it self out is one of the main reasons i want to read the third book, because as a novel about magic and 'other worlds' it's not one of the best.

To conclude:
The magical stuff is good, the storyline is pretty original as far as I know, but I didn't fall in love with this book (or it's predesesor) and for me that says it all, as I fall in love with books and characters very easily :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]