5.0 out of 5 stars Silky Slumber............., 8 Aug 2009
This review is from: Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK (Personal Care)
Like a previous reviewer, I am male and have a need for daytime sleeping, and frankly I wish I had found this sooner.

It is extremely comfortableto wear, the elastic is gentle but strong enough to hold on despite my being pretty restless as a sleeper. I also have a large hat size and they cope perfectly with that too. There is no pinching feeling even after wearing them all through my sleep.

I have a sleep disorder, and whilst these don't cure it they help me ENORMOUSLY to get sleep in the daylight hours which I need in order to cope with daily living. (I have Fibromyalgia and suffer non-restorative sleep and need to sleep through into the daytime every day, I also have light sensitive issues that causes pain without a mask.)

My quality of life has improved quite noticably becuase of improved daylight sleeping using this mask.

I realise it may not be such an 'epiphany' for many others, but even if I were not multi-disabled I would benefit from not having to face the bright sun in the mornings long before rising from bed. This is far cheaper than full blackout curtains and blinds, and portable too so you get the blackout in any room you choose.

I disagree with the reviewer who says this does not block out all light, because it does for me. It is utterly black when wearing the mask, and the mask has my familys 'big 'KONK' to deal with.

I can not fault this for comfort nor effectiveness in any way whatsoever. So much so that my 6yr old son now has become jealous and wants one as he now sees both Mum and Dad wearing this mask. Mum uses it to try and help relieve migraines, so as a result I just bought another one for her too.

An absolute must for a few quid considering the improvemnt they make and how blisfully comfy they are.

Go ahead fellas, don't be shy, get that extra sleep you always wanted.

Fellow Fibromyalgia (FM) sufferers, you MUST buy this to aid your sleep, comforatbly and non-pharmacologically.

Regards

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2011 19:08:59 GMT
J. MCLEAN says:
Very well written Baz. Thanks to your comment, I've decided to take the plunge and buy this one. Hope it helps! Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2011 11:16:30 GMT
CROCIATO-LAW says:
Good for you Jean, I am sure you'll be happy with it like me.

I am still using mine and getting much needed benefit from it.

Careful on washing, I ruined one by machine washing, just a simple hand soak and dry flat wrapped inside a towel on a cool radiator, or in the airing cupboard.

Thanks

Posted on 28 Sep 2012 21:19:44 BDT
Alison says:
Both my daughter and myself have Fibromyalgia, my daughter said she would like to try an eye mask, so Thanks Baz, I will buy this and see how she likes it, then maybe I will get one for myself too.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 21:44:46 BDT
Good luck :-)
I still use mine and swear by it, its so, so comfy so you aren't adding pinching and irritation to the problems already causing trouble getting yourself some decent sleep when you need it to recharge from fatigue. We all know our limits, but we all do too much at times I bet too. It's better than giving up I say.

It also says a lot for the quality that I still have the one I bought all that time ago. I've added a back up for myself when it is being cleaned, but it still feels soft and silky smooth and barely like you are wearing it.

Still the best I have tried and I have had a few very pricey ones given as gifts and this wins every time.

Best of luck and as much decent rest as you can get.

Keep fighting the fight.

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 09:08:43 GMT
Whitefeather says:
Thank you for the information you provided. True! Wearing silk helps a lot in all body pain cases, I find! I'll add this sleeping mask to my basket. :)

Regarding fibromyalgia (plus in my case, rhumatoid arthitis, total immune collapse and many years of tears and pain including those sleepless nights :(), after many researches, I was greatly helped by the following easy method (even a child could do it). Go to 'healinglibrary.com', scroll down, click on replay webinars. It is the method by Dr. Bradley Nelson. Maybe you heard about it already. It is a self-healing method, meaning that it is free or if you prefer, you may contact a healer from the website but there will be fees obviously. I am in the process of becoming a practitioner myself.

Happy health, friends! :)

CvE

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2013 17:48:43 BDT
I've found your recommendation very interesting as I, too, have fibromyalgia with severe sleep problems. I also have very frequent and persistent migraines which mean I need to be able to exclude every hint of light. I also have used lots of masks - mostly the cheap travel type - but I wasn't quite clear why you thought this one the best. Is it the silk fabric? The shape? I realise it's some time since you first posted your recommendation so will particularly be grateful if you could clarify this for me. Thank you, Aileen

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2013 20:41:25 BDT
Whitefeather says:
I have found that this is the best quality for the price asked considering in particular the thickness of the silk material which consists here of three layers of silk for this item.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 17:17:33 BDT
Helo Aileen,

Happy to try and clarify things and help a fellow FMer.

I tried many different masks, travel and even pharmacy recommended to no avail.

Then I bought this and it felt like a miracle! My considerations were/are fabric, shape and softness as these were the prime factors that caused problems with other makes. One oe more of the se things would always be a problem, even if I got full blackout, the discomfort became a real problem with continued use. This product has another unique addition along with these combining to enable full black out in total comfort.

Firstly this achieves the need to NOT ADD pain by being made from materials that are uncomfortable. The fabric is extremely soft silk and filled with silk too, not padding or other materials which can become misshapen. There is a small addition of fabric to goes across the nose beneath the eye area coverd by the eye pads. The eye pads are larger by about 20% than most on the market and this extra size helps with my having both the generally large skull of a male but also a large hat size also which means the attachment to the mask and the tension in the elastic is another factor and these combine very well to hold the eye mask in the place yo need it to stay in without discomfort that would be characterisitic for FMS suffers from cranial pain.

Secondly that small but essential addition of the nose pice of fabric ensures that once the eyes are covered blackout is achieved even from light creepimg in where the mask crosses the nose, and after trying so many different makes this definitiely makes a difference and to my knowledge is unique to this design.

Lastly this CAN be washed on a wool cycle inside a sport sock if you have the cream coloured on or any sock if you have a black one. It needs to be dried like pure new wool would laid flat and air dried. You may wish to lightly steam iron the mask once dry to add a smoother finish to it and also help "re-fluff" the mask with the steam. With a linen freshener this also ensure that you can use the germ and bactericide effects of steam to keep the mask clean and also freshen it as long as you are certain that no chemical sensitivity will occur from any ironing additive, just steaming it every few weeks has , I have found, helped to extend times between washes.

I still have mine and it it is still as brilliant as I first reviewed. I even bought a spare for the car just in case I ever go somewhere and forget to take my one from home.

This company also does pillow cases that are helpful if you get multiplechemical sensitivity.

I have to avoid the freshers in steaming because of MCSS and have found the pillowcases to be a great aid as well, probably due to the completely natural make up of the fabric, pure silk may sound like an extravagance but it makes sense as even cotton is treated in manufacture and gives me issues.

I initially pumped for this on the silk being natural basis and having overcome earlier issues on washing this is a must have in my arsenal against sleep problems and I have also found it helpful during Menieres attaccks which i also suffer from as it means that even with my eyes opening reflexively during an attack I dont have to put up with visual disturbance that contributes to that hearing and balance disorders effects during episodes and have found it aids recovery from shorter episodes too.

In essence: size, shape, added design elements and sheer incredible softness, plus that it stays secure without being painful like some have been, make this a product I would highly recommend to FMS or Migraine sufferers as it achieves what you want - total blackout - without any addition of a compromise problem like elasticity to suffer to attain what you want.

I hope this helps Aileen,

I shop online for 99% of all that I buy and this is the one thing I would universally recommend, just ahead of samsung products which are superb but thats awhole other field of purchasing :-)

Best Regards,

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2014 06:45:57 GMT
Vicki says:
Barry,

Just wanted to say this is one of the best, most helpful reviews I've ever come across.

I think ill purchase this, your review helped even more as you were so open to reveal your personal circumstances - all I will say is I can relate very much. Knowing this helps you through 'harder times' gives me great confidence in it.

I have had trouble replacing my last mask, as the elastic has become slack after long term use. (That one was silk) and seeing your review I think my search is over. (Been looking for a few weeks, I like to do my research as I too buy alot online.)

Can't thank you enough for the time you've taken to help so many people judging by all the comments.

Vicki.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 06:53:09 BDT
I'd like to thank you for your review.

I too have fibromyalgia, and have been looking for an eyemask for quite some time. I've had others before, usually cheap ones that come with gift sets and the like, but I've always found that the cheap plastic-y material either makes me sweat around the mask, which can and has caused painful rashes, they just don't block out enough light to make a difference, or that the strap is uncomfortable.

I am on medications to aid with sleep, but due to my age, I'm only 21, and the fact that I'm a full time university student with a part time job, both my GP and I are wary of breaking into full dose sedatives, but your review has brought some hope that I may get a slightly more restful sleep without having to dose up.[ non-restorative sleep is one of my main symptoms, and has the most impact day to day.]

and I'll be waiting for the post to arrive over the next few days.

Zoe.