3.0 out of 5 stars Sigma quality, 9 July 2009
This review is from: Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon Fit Lens (Camera)
I have used this lens on several different tasks in the past three weeks. Initially I was very pleased with the coverage and the fact that it gives minimum distortion if used with strict attention to keeping the camera carefully aligned vertically and horizontally.
I am disappointed with the definition. Although some trade-off has to be made between zoom and fixed focus lenses, and the comparatively cheap cost, there is a very definite lack of crispness to my images with this lens.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2010 09:36:23 GMT
M. Goring says:
I did an enormous amount of research before buying this lens comparing it to Canons 10-22mm and the other manufacturers equivalents. Although most reviews were positive in terms of performance and price there was some adverse comment about Sigma variable quality control.
In the end I bought this lens. It looks and feels quality and at first glance the images are as you would expect. However, on closer examination the images were not sharp at any f-stop or focal length I tried and the colours/contrast were awful. In the end I did a comparison with my Canon 18-55mm kit lens using two different bodies. With both lenses set at 18mm using the same shutter speed and aperture the "cheap" Canon lens was so much better in every respect that the Sigma 10-20 went back to the supplier the same day.
I have another Sigma lens with which I please but maybe the comments about their quality control are justified and I was just unlucky?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 09:13:49 BDT
Dear Penn and M. Goring...

I bought my Nikon mount version of this lens at the end of 2011. It turned out to be a grey import but got a partial refund and kept it anyway. Regarding quality of image, I have read older reviews which confirm what you found. On the other hand, I have read a few more recently which imply that Sigma are on top of the quality control again. I tested my lens on arrival, and was expecting an unsharpness in the curvature of field. That is to say, if you paste a newspaper to a wall and photograph it with the lens completely square and central, on a tripod, the center would be sharp, (in focus) the corners not so sharp. On top of this, I read that older examples of this lens had a left-right difference, where the left hand side of the image was less sharp than the centre and the right.

I found a slight unsharpness in all 4 corners, when shot at f4 - f6.7 but when shot at f8 sharpness was fine across the image. I would say f9.5 is the best aperture.

Now, as it is an ultrawide, and used for special shots and architectural shots, in the main, you would be wanting to hit f9.5 to ensure a good depth of focus (field) anyway, and being a 10mm at widest, that means shooting even handheld at 1/15th shouldnt be at all a problem.

The bottom line is, I tested this thoroughly before deciding to keep it, and after 3 years I am glad I did keep it.

Recently upgraded to a 24mp camera, and glad to report the lens is VERY sharp at f8, and a 24mp will show up any lens problems far more easily than 10 - 12mp would.

If you have the money, get the Nikkor or Canon lens for your camera instead, but it seems Sigma have pulled their socks up and sorted out whatever problems beset early versions of this lens in the 2005-10 era.

Look at the Nikon D600 today, with oil spots on the sensor being reported, brand new out of the box!

Best thing to do is buy one, and then immediately test it, but do it correctly, on a tripod in good light, and assess the results.

No, you can't buy mine... it's a keeper!

:) Ross