5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Rather Good!, 11 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Well I have to say that when I bought this video I was somewhat sceptical as to whether it would actually be much use. Personally, I am not that fond of the use of videos as teaching tools as I much prefer a book which allows to you quickly and easily dip into, to find the relevant information you need without having to rewind acres of videotape.
However... having had other fitness videos in the past, including Lynne Robinson's Pilates workout, and, more recently Geri's Yoga video, I have to say that I was genuinely impressed with this tape and I liked it immensely.
Unlike Geri's nice but more talk-and-not-a-lot-of-action yoga video, this tape is jam packed with exercises!! Barbara Currie genuinely seems to care and although you will be fed up (or at least laughing at!) her references to "DON'T STRAIN!!!" by the end of the tape, it really is a good tape, which covers a comprehensive set of exercises from beginner to more advanced. She is always advising to follow the girl doing the easier version of each exercise if you do not feel confident in attempting the full manoeuvre!
The tape is divided into 4 sections, each of which is good, especially the last two, 35 Minute Power Toning, and 20 Minute Power Stretching.
At the end of the tape I felt good. It was colourful, it was fun and what's more I want to do it again today! (unlike my other videos which get shelved after only one viewing!)
If you are new to yoga, I would recommend you to buy this video, along with a good quality yoga book, such as The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga, or Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness, both of which are easy to understand for the novice.
I think more advanced students would also find this video enjoyable, as you can 'show-off' and demonstrate all the advanced moves alongside Barbara and co. Plus, having at least one good video is a bonus, because you can actually see the only thing that books cannot really provide, and that is a live demonstration of each exercise where you can watch the whole sequence all the way through... it is easy to copy and remember what they are doing on the screen, whereas some books may only have a beginning and end pose picture.
Overall, I think that this video is a bonus to Yoga, and should be snapped up as a value for money bargain, as there seems to be an increasing amount of poor quality material being churned out in the field of fitness at the moment.
This video will shine through.

[Add comment]