5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased - but beginners remember there is more to buy..., 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (With 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens Kit) (Electronics)
I've had this camera for nearly six months now, and I have to say I love it. I got it as an early birthday present, but the choice was my own. I went around every store I could find with cameras, trying out various models within the budget I was told to stick to. There are a lot of fantastic cameras out there, but trying them out, I found that this was definitely the one for me. It took a while to get used to all the features, but I was determined to get good manual shots. Now, I hardly use the auto settings as I can get "my" pictures through the manual settings.

Auto is fantastic - especially when you don't know what you're doing. Every shot looked great and I used the information the camera provided to try and replicate them, getting used to what affected what. The images I've gotten from it are crisp, sharp and full of colour. I'm now shooting RAW and with various filters for different shots. I love the bulb mode for night shots and light art, though have only used it a couple of times.

It is a very light camera in my opinion. It feels lighter than it looks really, and can seem cheap compared to others out there. It has, however, taken a few knocks and scuffs and got caught out in the rain once, all with no effect on the camera or the photos it provided - though I would recommend getting a cover if you plan to be out in the rain. I'm getting a battery grip for portrait shooting and also to add a bit of weight to the camera. Since getting the Sigma 70-300mm lens, it needs the extra weight to help balance as light camera and heavy lens makes it difficult to keep level.

Also, the kit lens leaves something to be desired. But lenses are definitely something to look into as you can afford them. The lens is fine for beginners, but I have tried out other lenses and the difference is noticeable. For keeping up a hobby, it is more than satisfactory, and most professionals can probably afford better.

A tripod is a must. I don't have any IS lenses, and having both my table-top and full-size tripod, I feel no need. I have taken hand-held shots that are perfectly fine, and when I know I'm going to want longer exposure, I always use a tripod. Other accessories are also needed to get the best out of the camera, but these are needed with most cameras to get the best you can out of them. The filters, tripods, battery grips, remote shutters etc are easy to find and don't have to break the bank. I'm still on the lookout for a flash gun, though the one built is satisfactory. It's just better to be able to hold the gun in different positions, which you can't do with what it has. It's also not very powerful.

Battery life is great. I can get hundreds of photos, mixture of with and without flash, on a single charge... In fact, it took me 3 months after it's first charge before the battery icon started to flash. I was surprised as I am prone to accidentally leaving the camera on between trips out with it.

All in all, I am very happy with this camera and would recommend it as a first camera for everyone. I haven't really reached any limitations with it yet and won't upgrade to mid-level for some time as I feel the photos I'm getting are great as they are. I know this will eventually change, but not for a long time yet.

Edit to just say I've found something that kills the battery. Wanted to do a time lapse, tethered it to my laptop to take a photo every half hour.... Well... it's dead this morning after 12 hours.. ooops.

EDIT 2: I did some research - use an interval timer and the battery won't drain. The camera normally turns off between each shot, but when tethered, the camera has to remain on constantly to keep the connection, so rather than the nice power saving it has that makes it last forever, it's like using bulb mode

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2012 06:29:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 06:31:08 GMT
W. Argyle says:
CANON owe you Commision ... You just SOLD the EOS 1100D to me, Thanks very very much for your oh so helpful review !

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012 15:14:25 BDT
Hannah says:
I wish I could get it :p Have fun with your new camera. If you've never had an SLR, take the time to get used to it. I feel too many people write them off because of all the settings. Hope you're as happy with it as I am :)

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 11:26:06 BDT
Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the excellent and thorough review! I just wanted to ask, though: you mention the battery life being great, but what battery are you using? (as battery is not included in this particular deal...). Any advice?

Many thanks,

Lou

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 11:44:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 11:45:30 BDT
Lou,

I am sure a Battery will come with the Camera, It would be odd if not, But check out Amazon Look for batteries for EOS 1100D Pretty much any they have are GOOD, go for cheaper options unless you MUST have Canon version, but I have 3 extras all work well, and last just about same time as my Canon version, Enjoy the Camera ... It's Brilliant !

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 11:51:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 11:53:08 BDT
Hannah,

I owe you a Drink, Thanks to you I have a really fantastic Camera, and I am loving every time I use it, and have taken many great shots, and as my local Amateur Radio Society publicity officer It has proved extremely useful, I got some great shots of Enigma Machines at a Talk we had this week,

Hope your taking Many wonderful shots, Thanks Again !

Posted on 11 Oct 2012 08:42:28 BDT
Hi Very good review. We've had ours 6 months & love it but still learning how to use it. (Still on auto a moment I'm afraid!) We fancy a bigger lense but unsure on what to choose. We have a EFS 18-55MM with IS at the moment. Do you have any suggestions. Something not too expensive please. Thanks for your help Gary

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 22:05:11 BDT
pisces1973 says:
try this lens, fantastic in low light - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - it gives you a clear looking image with great contrast

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2012 09:37:55 BDT
W. Argyle says:
TRhat's next on my shopping list, Reviews are excellent !

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 16:57:05 GMT
Rhys says:
hello, i have a few questions,
1. is it an opitical viewfinder?
2. does it make a click when you take a photo? :)
thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 22:36:01 GMT
Hannah says:
Yes and yes.

Lens-wise, I got the Sigma 70-300mm with macro. Takes stunning shots

As far as I am aware, a lithium ion battery comes with the camera as they are rechargeable.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›