5.0 out of 5 stars I don't really have a review., 18 July 2013
This review is from: Stewart Lee - Carpet Remnant World [DVD] (DVD)
I was going to write a review for Stewart Lee's Carpet Remnant World, but I've been so busy with my life, I didn't have the time. Playing video games, watching funny clips on the internet, that's my life now. I've got nothing. Nothing.

But did you notice that Stewart had refined his dead-on, deconstructionist personality to a tee on this tour? Brilliantly pulling together seemingly disparate and dissolute threads, and weaving them into a cohesive whole in his typically sardonic, unflinchingly rigorous style.

As usual, there was a split in the audience between those who "get" him and those who've been catapulted along based on good reviews/the comedy award/having a moderately-successful show on late-night BBC 2. This time, whether artificially-induced or genuine, the gulf seemed almost insurmountable as those wanting a comedian to just say something funny and move on without taxing their intellects remained resolutely unreachable.

Stewart Lee, the alternative to comedy, is actually a master observer, but not in the vein of an "observational" comic; what he notices is the gaps in our reality, the chasm between the way things are and the way they could be. An entirely logical, rational world where it's eminently reasonable that Margaret Thatcher was responsible for the decay of our beloved jungle pirate zombie rope bridges. It's a semi-fictional creation, but where the line is between the two, only Stewart Lee knows.

I suppose, what I'm trying to say is that I can make a review by putting random points in a list.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jul 2014 17:37:02 BDT
Peter Smith says:
Brilliant review--in the spirit of Stewart Lee himself. It made me laugh and nailed the source of Lee's appeal to a middle-aged, somewhat bitter liberal like me. The only trouble is that after experiencing Lee I can't watch the Russells, and Lock, Carr, McIntyre, Brands, and the whole mainstream gang. Not that I ever did, mind you. I was waiting for Lee. (I still quite like Jo Brand,just because I like sardonic comics)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2014 20:38:47 BDT
I'm not yet middle-aged, but I'm a pretty bitter liberal, though I feel much better about it now that I've actually met some bitter right-wingers. Those guys are crazy. The parodying of Stewart Lee's style - such as it is - was something I did on a previous review, for the second series of 'Comedy Vehicle', and it seemed to work.

I still like other comedians, it's like when you watch a puppet show: as soon you see the strings holding everything together, it's all you can focus on. Lee undercuts that by having the strings in the forefront right from the off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (79 customer reviews)

£19.99 £12.57