56 of 63 people found the following review helpful
A disappointing and lazy release.,
This review is from: Love Thy Neighbour - The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Until I bought this boxset, I don't think I'd ever seen an episode of "Love Thy Neighbour" before. It's before my time and I can't remember ever seeing it repeated. I'm a big fan of older sitcoms when characters could call a blackboard a blackboard and sing baa, baa black sheep etc. without receiving two complaints and it appearing on the national news. So I would've given this boxset a five star rating even before I'd watched an episode. Unfortunately though I've only given this boxset two stars and that's for the fact that it's the nearest thing to a complete collection that doesn't use much shelf space.
This is a disappointing and lazy release for various reasons I will mention below.
1) Like the other reviewer said, it's not complete. Series 4 finale episode titled "April Fools" and episode four from series 7 titled "The Coach Outing to Bournemouth" are the missing two episodes. This should be called the collection and not complete collection.
2) These discs are obviously exactly the same discs as the Fremantle individual series dvd releases, as each of the eight discs included says series 1 to 8, when in fact there were seven series made and not eight. This is very lazy of them, I expected them to correct all this and especially for the price of £40. On the back of the box it actually says all episodes included from all eight series on eight discs. So they went to the effort of printing that even though they know it's not true.
3) The box is too small for eight discs and they've only just managed to fit them in. This is about the width of less than two standard dvd cases. Nothing wrong with this size, but not for a series that over 50 episodes were made.
4) No episode title info is included anywhere, not in the box or even on the disc menus and not even at the beginning of an episode. All you get is episode 1, 2, 3 etc.
5) No ad breaks. This one is personal and not everyone will care but I prefer them to be included like the excellent Network releases. The main problem when they are not included is that there is a sudden jump from one scene to the next and it's unnatural and obvious where the ad break was.
Like the other reviewer said, Network are rumoured to be releasing this in the future from what I've read on wikipedia. I know they are not perfect and have made some mistakes themselves plus they never include subtitles which is one good thing that this Fremantle release does have.
Overall though, I'm usually impressed with Network releases, so please Network if you are reading this, release "Love Thy Neighbour" complete collection with episode titles and original airdates and correctly packaged as seven series, then I can get rid of this disappointing Fremantle release. Until that happens though, this collection will have to do.
Love Thy Neighbour - The Complete Series [DVD] 
Just added two extra stars for this boxset, as I was originally a little harsh. It's very cheap now too compared to what I paid for it, a bargain at under £14. If only I'd waited myself. Only reason I've not given it five stars now is because of the lazy packaging and incorrect info which I mentioned originally.
Tracked by 4 customers
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Apr 2011 10:10:59 BDT
M. Williams says:
I sent network an email asking if they were going to release this box set themselves in the future.They replied saying they have no plans to release the love thy neighbour series.
Posted on 25 Apr 2011 18:36:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2014 17:10:03 GMT
Gwen Parkinson says:
I have listed the episode titles below with info on which series they are from and which discs they are on.
Disc 1 - Series 1 plus Pilot episode (pilot episode is exactly the same storyline as episode 1)
1) New Neighbours
2) Limbo Dancing
3) The Petition
4) Factory Dispute
5) The Seven Year Itch
6) Refused A Drink
7) Sex Appeal
Disc 2 - Series 2
1) The Housewarming Party
3) Clarky Leaves
4) The Bedroom Suite
5) The TUC Conference
6) Religious Fervour
Disc 3 - Series 3
1) The G.P.O
2) The Car
3) Eddie Returns from Holiday
4) Lion and the Lamb
5) The Lift
6) Barbie Becomes Pregnant
The Movie was broadcast between Series 3 and 4 and it's not included in this boxset, but available to buy separately.Love Thy Neighbour [DVD]
Disc 4 - Series 4 Part 1
1) Hines' Sight
3) Working On New Year's Eve
4) Eddie's Mother In Law
5) The Ante-Natal Clinic
6) Two Weeks to Babies
7) To The Hospital
8) The Big Day
Disc 5 (incorrectly titled Series 5 on this boxset) - Series 4 Part 2
9) The Mediterranean (episode 1 on this disc)
10) Bananas (episode 2 on this disc)
11) Teething Problems (episode 3 on this disc)
12) Cat's Away (episode 4 on this disc)
13) Ghosts (episode 5 on this disc)
14) Eddie's Birthday (episode 6 on this disc)
15) April Fools (this episode is not included on this boxset)
Disc 6 (incorrectly titled Series 6 on this boxset) - Series 5
2) Jacko's Wedding
3) Duel at Dawn
4) The Darts' Final
5) Royal Blood
6) Club Concert
7) The Nannies
Disc 7 (incorrectly titled Series 7 on this boxset) - Series 6
1) Famous Crimes
2) The Lady and the Tramp
3) Protection of the Law
4) The Opinion Poll
5) Manchester... United
6) The T.U.C Conference
7) Coach Trip
Disc 8 (incorrectly titled Series 8 on this boxset) - Series 7
1) The Local By-Election
2) Eddie Becomes A Father Again
3) Christmas Spirit
4) The Coach Outing to Bournemouth (this episode is not included on this boxset)
5) For Sale (episode 4 on this boxset)
6) Power Cut (episode 5 on this boxset)
7) The Lodger (episode 6 on this boxset)
Recently added the Australian dvd release of "Love Thy Neighbour in Australia" to my collection. I've put the link below for anyone interested in another 7 episodes of Eddie Booth.
Love Thy Neighbour in Australia
In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2011 10:55:51 BDT
J. L. Widdowson says:
These are unofficial titles. Like some early sit-coms that did not have an episode title, these were added much later for convenience. That is why DVD companies are obliged to list them as Episodes 1, 2, 3.. etc.
In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2011 18:50:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2011 23:54:22 BDT
Gwen Parkinson says:
Hello J. L. Widdowson, that's interesting. Although most of the sitcoms in my dvd collection do include episode titles, I did notice some (released by Network) that don't and just say episode 1, 2 etc., although some do still show original airdates and brief episode information in the packaging.
I also have some BBC sitcoms in my collection that doesn't include them either, so maybe these too didn't originally have episode titles and were made up for convenience? for example "Waiting for God" and "Ever Decreasing Circles".
Now that you have explained that these "Love My Neighbour" episode titles were added later for convenience, do you think that the missing episode titled "Coach Outing to Bournemouth" is exactly the same episode as the episode titled "Coach Trip". I am too young, so I didn't see this series when originally broadcast, but it wouldn't surprise me if one was repeated on another series and it would explain why there is only six episodes on the final disc in this Fremantle collection when seven episodes are listed on both wikipedia and IMDb.
If anyone knows for certain that the episodes titled "Coach Trip" and "Coach Outing to Bournemouth" are the exact same episode, then I would appreciate you letting me know as I will edit my review and give this Fremantle collection one extra star.
Posted on 21 May 2011 11:54:31 BDT
Flag Hippo says:
On the stand alone releases - Series 7 Episode 7 is an episode in which they go on a Coach Trip to Bournemouth, so that is surely the "Coach Trip to Bournemouth" epsiode? there wouldn't be 2 episodes which are coach trips to Bournemouth would there ?
I think there is just one coach episode and that is included already. So there is only 1 episode missing, but does anyone actually have proof that this one even exists ?
In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2011 00:38:03 BDT
Mr Frank Lee Bland says:
The "April`s Fool" episode ( broadcast 25/3/1974 ) has not been included on any DVD release as it`s content is considered too offensive !
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2011 22:36:41 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Oct 2011 22:38:13 BDT]
In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 20:01:52 GMT
MARK C. BALE says:
Is this the episode that has Eddie Booth blacking up? If so, it was shown late at night by UKGold many moons ago. So not that controversial then.
In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 22:47:00 GMT
Amazon Customer says:
No this is a different episode, it is in series 1 or 2 i think. i think it's episode 6 of series 1. Anyway I am too young to haveever seen the april fools episode but it has not been included on any box set release because it was deemed too offensive.
In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2012 18:19:45 GMT
MARK C. BALE says:
What is the episode synopsis for the April Fool episode