2.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book (5*) - but only 2* for the Kindle version, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: Perfumes: The guide (Hardcover)
But for the index I'd have given this book far more than five stars, if they'd been available as it's an absolute Joy - and no more puns, I promise. Every home really should have a copy of this.

Now, authors please note for the second edition, what we all need are:
An index of perfumiers (Have I got the right word?) so that you can turn immediately to Chanel or whoever and quickly find the winners and losers they provide.
Perfumes indexed by type - much harder this; LT & TS would probably need to choose a shortlist of basic types such as chypre, floral, citrus etc. and then head each perfume something along the lines of 'Love in Paris - floral (peachy)' so that it can more easily be classified. There will always be some perfumes which are e.g. equally floral and citrussy - no problem, they'll be listed under both headings.

...and I really do think this is one of the best books I've bought for ages. I'm only bothering to write this review because I think the book deserves to be as perfect as some of the products it describes.

...Those were my comments on the hardback - I would say that the Kindle version doesn't merit more than two stars. I counted over 80 typos, most are hyphens where there shouldn't be one (Guer-lain? he-liotropin?) or two words run together (...an attractive lowhum...) or just sloppy proof-reading e.g "Ageless Fantasy...'Tommy' crone" - should be 'clone' I think.

More serious is the omission of both the indexes - the one of fragrances arranged by House & that of fragrances arranged according to their star-rating and, worst of all, the fact that it is impossible to go directly to any particular fragrance. You must either trawl through the whole wretched book or do a search for the fragrance name - and then trawl through every single reference to that name. This isn't a novel; I doubt very much whether anyone starts at page one & reads through to the end, I would imagine that just about every reader immediately wants to see what the authors have said about his/her favourite (or least favourite) fragrance, or, having read a rave review of a perfume by e.g. Serge Lutens, wants to see what other fragrances he makes & how they are rated.

This could have been really great. I bought it for my Kindle just before I went on holiday so that I could enjoy dipping into it at bed-time and so that I could refer to it in my wanderings around duty-free and was most disappointed to find it a failure on both counts.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]