Customer Review

13 of 17 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Wreckless, 9 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Give The Anarchist A Cigarette (Pimlico) (Paperback)
Farren is at his best when recounting stories that are not directly about himself - like first seeing Dylan or Jimi Hendrix in concert, or attending the IT launch at the Roundhouse, or the Technicolor Dream in '67. In his colourful and descriptive, often humorous style, he imparts a sense of having been present at delicious moments in cultural history. Unfortunately this only fills about 10% of his book. The other 90% comprises his opinions, judgements, contradictions and stories about his band - all presented in a macho aggressive style that appears to mask a deep insecurity. (He is at his most likeable when he comes close to acknowledging this). That he is still edgily re-justifying actions he took 35 years ago suggests that deep down he isn't really sure about the value of what he's done at all. Ultimately his drunken, out-of-it, often plain wreckless 60's and 70's deeds, and the gung-ho re-telling of them, position him not as counterculture agent du change, but as spiritual godfather to that most questionable of cultural movements : laddism.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]
Post a comment
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Amazon will display this name with all your submissions, including reviews and discussion posts. (Learn more)
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

As a representative of this product you can post one Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)
After clicking on the Post button you will be asked to create your public name, which will be shown with all your contributions.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.  Learn more
Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
 
System timed out

We were unable to verify whether you represent the product. Please try again later, or retry now. Otherwise you can post a regular comment.

Since you previously posted an Official Comment, this comment will appear in the comment section below. You also have the option to edit your Official Comment.   Learn more
The maximum number of Official Comments have been posted. This comment will appear in the comment section below.   Learn more
Prompts for sign-in
 


Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)
5 star:
 (5)
4 star:
 (3)
3 star:
 (1)
2 star:    (0)
1 star:
 (1)
 
 
 
£12.99
Add to basket Add to wishlist
A Customer