5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera? Potential WARNING - see latest updates to this review., 27 July 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-FS45EB-K Black 16 Megapixal Camera with F2.5 LEICA Lens and 5x Optical Zoom (Electronics)
I got this about two months ago and have been putting it through its paces ever since. I wanted a small camera I could slip in a pocket and a wide angle lens - I used to have a great 24mm wide angle with an SLR many years ago and I loved the landscapes and depth of field you could get with it. This camera has brought back memories of that lens, only this one is available on a zoom and doesn't have to be fixed on to the body each time you want a wide angle shot! Plus it has some great effects like the panoramas (left to right or back, up and down etc) which are easy to use - just sweep the camera slowly around - or the miniaturising effect (designed to make real life look like a small model set) which can produce some rather ethereal results - worth experimenting with.

The camera is very tiny but manageable, using a function button to change default settings - eg full auto, special settings and so on. Menus are helpful telling you flash status, macro status etc. Lots of control is available or you can just leave it on intelligent auto and fire away. Very pleased with the results, you can even zoom when you are shooting a movie - my expensive Fuji main camera won't let me do that! It "only" has a five-time zoom, and I was tempted to look at other models with longer ones, but I didn't want to lose the 24mm lens or the small size and light weight (and cheaper price...).

Battery life is fine - charge it up before a days shooting and I very much doubt you'll be let down - I haven't been and I've been giving it some welly (technical term). Easy to recharge, just plug in the lead to mains. I would have liked a case included in the price, but bought a nicely small one from a well-known department store where I could check the fit. Out of interest it also fits into an ipod touch/iphone sock! And its 16MP, so actually you can overcome lack of zoomage (another technical term) by blowing up your shots using freeware like GIMP.

I intended this to be a second camera but find myself leaving the house just with this on my belt or in my pocket. Its great.

UPDATE

My great little camera failed after 14 months of ownership! After being very pleased with it, this was a shock. The famous department store I bought it from didn't want to know, so I contacted Panasonic who advised me to send it off to their chosen repairers telling me they have a flexible attitude to warranty terms. Estimated cost of repair? 85 !!!

I am waiting to see if Panasonic will pick up the tab (cheaper surely for them to supply a new camera...) and will let you know - so potentially BEWARE of PANASONIC!

FURTHER UPDATE

Well good news, Panasonic must have agreed to pick up the repair bill as my camera is back with me a week after I sent it off. Seems to be working OK. I know someone else was fretting about the little plastic lug over the USB connection, but don't worry about trivialities - make sure your lens operates OK. I assume it was a manufacturing fault but will now be monitoring closely. If any further developments I'll let you know - if anyone's still reading this!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2014 21:58:47 BDT
Flameman says:
If your camera failed after 14 months and the "famous department store did not want to know" then they are obviously not aware of the Sale of Goods Act. When you buy an item, it has to be fit for purpose and DURABLE. A modern digital camera should last for years and your "department store" has failed in it's duty to repair free of charge. I'm pleased to see however that you got a free repair in the end. Please check your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2014 06:44:52 BDT
Ant says:
Hi Flameman. Yes it was very frustrating; I am aware of the SOGA and quoted it at the guy at the customer services desk but it was like dealing with a robot. I took his name and name of manager after he had told me that expected life on cameras was really only the guarantee period they gave! So I was ready to address them via Consumer Direct etc but before that I contacted Panasonic and the repair went ahead. I was also ready to invoke the credit card company etc etc. Out of interest, the store changed its policy a month later offering a two year guarantee on all electricals. Still not enough of course but then they couldn't hoodwink people into buying extended guarantees could they? In general folk usually give up at the first refusal, so I guess its worth it for them to play it that way. Sadly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›