5.0 out of 5 stars 'Hello Tosh, Gotta Toshiba?', 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Toshiba SD1015KB DVD Player (New for 2013) (Electronics)
This would be an impressive enough DVD player anyway, given the look, quality and price of it. But the added bonus of being able to bypass all that spitefully inconvenient region coding nonsense with the hack which has been so thoughtfully provided by 'Gary' makes it even more versatile. You just type in that code once (in my case, as soon as the thing was plugged in, after only the very briefest of introductions) and the machine, realising you have outwitted it, declares itself to be 'Region 0' without any further fight whatsoever.

This is slim and it is sleek. Despite the fact that I am hurtling rather reluctantly towards middle age, I have no problems with reading the buttons on the remote control (that remote control takes 2 AAA batteries by the way, which are included). The DVD player comes with no leads, but I daresay everybody's got a SCART cable in the back of a cupboard somewhere. There is also the option to use something called a 'composite video jack' (or 'CVBS') - whatever that might be. Sensing I was out of my depth even by learning of its apparent existence, I decided to stick to my SCART lead, which I simply plugged in to the back of it and that was that.

You will need the remote control in order to explore the vast majority of what this machine can do. There is no volume control on it either, so you might need to sit there armed with the TV remote as well. The initial set-up of the thing was painless and that region hack took all of twenty seconds to type in, although you might want to factor in some additional time for that little jig of pure delight you will almost certainly feel like indulging in once the DVD player has completely surrendered to you; you know, in the pure euphoria of that moment when you realise that all those old 'Unsolved Mysteries' DVDs from the United States, which used to allow you to indulge your Robert Stack 'man-crush' and which you haven't been able to watch since your ex-wife got the old multi-region player in the divorce, are available for your enjoyment once again.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

The picture quality is good, even on a large screen TV. You can even zoom in on anything particularly exciting if you like. I have so far resisted doing that to Robert Stack, on the basis that anything else in my life to come might seem like too much of a let-down after experiencing something like that.

This fabulous little player also allows me to look at discs of JPEG files of my holiday snaps. I can even send them spinning around in 90 degree stages, meaning I can pretend I am an Australian in just two clicks of a button. The machine seems to spend rather a long time thinking about showing the pictures sometimes but, perhaps it just can't believe how incredibly attractive I am in most of them? Or, more than likely, it is just too busy laughing...

As a music player, I have tested this with both pre-recorded CDs ('30 Years of Bananarama' actually... well, any excuse!) and one that I burned myself, and they both work fine. There is a 'repeat' function and a 'random' one which help to bring a little additional excitement to those old familiar discs.

One feature of this player continues to outwit me (not a difficult thing to do, by any means) - anything and everything to do with 'Program View'. It's probably just me, but the instructions may as well be written in Mandarin, for all the sense I can make out of them. And the machine itself isn't talking. That whole subject is an unsolved mystery in itself if you ask me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Sep 2013 16:29:09 BDT
dear boy says:
Hilarious review that also was very informative !!! love this guy!!

Posted on 10 Oct 2013 13:09:25 BDT
Max Coburn says:
Great comedy review, laughed like a drain, brilliant and informative, other reviewers take note eg got it out the box looks shiny haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will be fine, how many have you read on Amazon like this, we want to know how the products perform not about Auntie/Granny going on holiday etc etc everybody agree ? Max.

Posted on 22 Oct 2013 04:49:37 BDT
nk99 says:
Very funny review. Keep up the good work!

Posted on 10 Nov 2013 20:40:00 GMT
You are a funny guy and a good review.

Posted on 2 Apr 2014 08:42:12 BDT
I need a new dvd player..all be it just for kiddy dvds ..oh the joy of watching toy story 7 million times more im thinking.!!!.hmmmm do i need one really....................... but on reading this review i just have to buy one now!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 09:11:07 BDT
Hermes Love says:
Never mind Toy Story... Robert Stack made loads of great movies. Get yourself a copy of Airplane, pull the curtains and turn the phone off. Heaven!

Make sure you keep both hands on your remote at all times though. The temptation to keep them busy in other ways will be strong, I can promise you.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (325 customer reviews)

42.99 25.00