5.0 out of 5 stars traveling miles #6 "We Want Miles" - the king of jazz holding Aide is roaring and evolving -, 7 May 2009
This review is from: We Want Miles (Audio CD)
Miles Davis,he was burdened with a grave duty of post contemporary jazz and leading the jazz music,has released "The Man with The Horn" in the world on 1981.And the king of jazz has rivived or he has rivived and has become the king of jazz both name and reality.
On 1982 he has released "We Want MILES". And he got Grammy!
"JEAN PIERRE" :This boy's name is the name of a son of Miles's wife,Frances.I remember the west open ground of shinjyuku in Tokyo,Japan,it's already cold autumn evening on 1981 and Miles looked like a little sick so I thought that he could not play for long time. But I was very glad and happy to watch him and listen his play at live. When first storong electric base was played by Marcus Miller,I remembered "Bitches Brew" and felt tention. But after that Miles plays so cute pop tune by his horn just like dandling a baby on his knees. It is very simple,happy and humorous melody we cannot forget once we listen. I think it is like Japanese children's song,the flower of tulip or Mr.moon. And I think this tune is becoming to Miles world people should be wanted and loved.Then Mike Stern plays rock guiter and Bill Evens plays popy sax on rock rythm by Macus and Al with its theme. And I wonder Miles's trumpet is shouting at the last of melody. I remember Miles played again this tune for encore that day. So "JEAN PIERRE" was etced in my mind forever that hot evening of Miles,there might be certainly Miles moon in autumn sky on Oct.4th 1981. And on the year "We Want Miles" was released Michael Jackson released "THRILLER",you know. And today I listened again "Beat it" "The Girls is Mine" "Billie Jean" and "Human Nature" Miles played in "You're Under Arrest".
"BACK SEAT BETTY":This is live version of "Back Seat Betty" in "The Man With The Horn".On steps jazzy rock beat by Macus and AL Miles plays fanky and beautiful solo and I feel so good to listen.Betty is the name of his wife,the girl of record jacket of "FILLES DE KILIMANJARO". And this tune was made for her by Miles. Anyway he is driving fast and hot and must be very happy,I think so.
"FAST TRACK":This is fast track of "Aide". Aide is a imaginary eagle having two head. "Aide" looks like the theme tune of Miles in "The Man With The Horn" and I think "Aida" means the power both jazz and rock. As it were "FAST TRACK" is fast version of "Aide" in "The Man With The Horn" ,but of cause this fast track of "Aide" is more thrilling and exciting. I feel like Aide having the power both jazz and rock is roaring.
"MY MAN'S GONE NOW":This is a sad ballad of George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess". Though he played "My man's gone now" under the direction of Gil Evans too,I like this way of "We Want Miles" more than the way being conscious of classical music. He expresses fanky rock Gershwin with his splendid ballad play payed his respect to Gershwin again. The sorrow of Bess is played and sometimes shouted by beautiful solo of Miles,Bill and Mike on fanky base and rock beat.
"KIX":I think this theme Miles play is so warm,soulful and nostalgic like motown sound. So I think "Kix" is the tune Miles expressed his heat to Boston,Kix,seems music club people can dance, and soul music,rythm & blues. But their plays are getting hotter and hotter,from 2 beat to 4 beat sing,and from 4 beat to 8 beat,and more from 8 beat to 16 beat with African percussion. We can listen fast amaging solo of Miles,Bill Evans and Mike Stern. Kix's theme is so warm and soulful that we may think this tune is nostalgic tune,but this tune is expressed the changing of various beat,and this beat is changing from soul and blues to hard rock.
What does the design of this record jacket mean? The title of "We Want MILES" let me remember the words of "We Love Elvis" when he released "Elvis in Hawaii". And Miles stand dropping his head and playing his trumpet powerfully in the yellow background. Then I found that the yellow color of rasta color means the sun.And red means blood and green means nature. So I think this record jacket of "We Want Miles" is expressed that the man with the horn,the king of jazz, has revived and hold the Aida and stand and is playing trumpet heart and soul shouldering with "We Want Miles" on his back in the sunshine. This cover photo of Miles Davis was taken by Yoshihesa Yoneda. I think that this record jecket of the son of the sun,Miles and yellow background and the white letters of "We Want MILES",is so beautiful.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]