1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabul (Kindle Edition)
This is an OK book. The first half tells you what you need to do to become a “Skinny Bitch” and the other half is a meal plan + which brands/food stuffs they recommend.
Generally it is an OK book, with some good information and I know it has helped numerous people. However I do have some issues, outlined below.
1) The way it is written, is very choppy and some parts feel quite rushed and ill-explained. It feels a little like it is saying YOU MUST DO THIS OR YOU WON’T LOSE WEIGHT. It essentially winds up telling you to go vegan, which is fine (I am already vegan) but some people aren’t ready/don’t want to so it’s a little wasted, plus with the way its written its not likely to make some people change their minds as they might be left with more questions than answers.
2) The language. There is a lot of foul language, which for a lot of people (I feel) it will be quite off putting and they’ll just stop reading. They’re using shock factor and for some people, that works. However for a lot of people (such as myself) its annoying, can be quite offensive and people generally don’t like being condescended, which happens a lot.
3) This issue isn’t really the book’s fault, as it is an American book and I am in the UK, but 25% of it is the food recommendations, and of course, they’re American and unavailable in the UK so useless to me.
4) The meal plan; I feel is too low-calorie. If you are eating a vegan diet, you are generally eating plant based (unless you’re a junk food, processed food vegan) and need a lot of food to get adequate calories. Also as you most likely aren’t eating junk, its okay to eat more than you probably think and you’ll still lose weight. If you eat too few calories, you’re more likely to ‘fall off the wagon’ and go back to eating meat and dairy as your body will crave high calorie, fast food sources (generally if you are vegan for weight loss/diet)
5) I disliked how it was mostly all ‘become a vegan so you’ll lose weight’, with a little of ‘oh its good for the planet and animals’ etc. But I guess that sells books better.