4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film - as long as you like horses!, 26 April 2012
This review is from: War Horse [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I went to see War Horse with my wife at the local cinemarium and we were not disappointed in the slightest. The name may be slightly misleading as I was expecting the war horse to be a fully armoured killing stallion to be used as a secret weapon in the war, but surprisingly it isn't. My wife thinks I may be looking too much into the relationship between the 2 central characters but this is essentially a story about a man and his insatiable lust for his horse.

They are introduced to each other by the father of Albert (the human) and their bond grows as Albert trains and moulds Joey (the horse) into the object of his desires. The happiness they show when together is tear inducing. They soon become inseparable until they are separated, Albert vows to get Joey back as he yearns for Joey's warm horse breath on his neck again. Whilst Joey is away, he inspires and touches everyone he meets -this is great to see and very powerful, by the end I even felt like I had been touched by Joey.

The thing that kept me so engrossed was the 'will they-wont they' tension between the man and his muscle bound horse whenever they meet. I also found it very interesting to experience World War 1 from the point of view of a horse, although this opens up the debate about whether horses have emotions (I am sceptical). The scene where a British and a German soldier joined forces to save Joey was extremely emotional although I think their intentions could have been romanticised as both sides would have been desperate for food and glue.

If you still haven't seen this film then I would describe this film as essentially 'Brokeback Mountain' but with one equestrian partner. We loved this film as it is a heart-warming tale with the clear message that not even a war can stop a man loving his horse.

I am not sure what special features are on the DVD but I certainly hope it includes the much rumoured shower-scene between Joey and Albert. I heard a leak (of information, not the tasteless vegetable) from a friend that it is very tasteful and neither party is too rough with the other. I am also reliably informed that the sound from both parties and the shower is muted and the sound comes in the form of some contempory jazz. I will update this review when I have checked the special features.

The only reason I couldn't give this film 5 stars is that there was no comedy in the film. I know people will say that its a serious film about a serious subject but I think that a few witty one-liners or even if the horse sometimes wore a funny hat, it would have lightened the film up a bit. Also at the start I felt that I couldn't take Joey the horse seriously as I kept thinking of Joey from friends.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable film so I give it:

4 Golden Stars - *****

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]