3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting theology on Muhammad and Islam., 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad (Paperback)
Having studied Islam at university, I bought a number of books about Islam and Islamic thought and culture, and this is one of the books I bought. Some of the books have been negative in nature, often by Muslim and Arab writers, but this book by Mr Ramadan is a positive book about Muhammad and what he means to Islam, and perhaps to the wider world.

It isn't so much the history of Muhammad but more the understanding of Muhammad's life and teachings and the theology and meanings that come from Muhammad's life, teachings and experience. However, I enjoyed reading it and I think it would be valuable for non-Muslims like myself as well as Muslims. I do get a little tired of the constant stream of bad press Islam gets and feel that even if there are negative aspects to Islamic culture and society, we need someone to look at it positively, for balance. Not every Muslim is a terrorist anymore than any Christian or Buddhist or Orthodox Jew.

As a Christian, I don't have to believe in Islam or Judaism or Buddhism, or anything other than Christianity; I am a Christian after all. However, I think I can respect another person's belief and their right to be whatever they want to be and whatever they want to believe in; if I respect a Muslim, he or she might respect me as a Christian. If we want to live in a world of tolerance, we have to learn to be tolerant. Religion should be summed up in four letters: L O V E!

If I have one criticism of the book, it is that it is often uncritical of certain things that are purported to have happened in the development of Islam, and Islamic theology and Islamic culture. No culture is perfect, West or East, Islamic or Christian; there are warmongers and extremists on all sides. Perhaps the moderates, the true believers in a merciful and compassionate and loving God, who truly wants the best for all of us, can claim back some of the territory we so often cede to the haters? I pray for it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2015 22:50:41 BDT
what can i say but in the name of allah the most compassionate and the most beneficient and the merciful.

Posted on 31 Jul 2015 07:04:25 BDT
I'm sure there are positive things to say about Myra Hindley, but it would be foolish to not consider what she got up to. Same goes for Mohammed. Spirituality isn't about wearing rose tinted glasses, it's about truth. There is a Christian website www.answeringislam.com. It will help you take off those glasses in a safe and supportive Christian environment.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2015 07:11:27 BDT
Mr Mohammed, I read in Koran that Allah not only chooses who will and who will not believe in him, but he then goes and sends the unbelievers, who had no choice about being unbelievers, to hell. How does that make Allah the most compassionate, the most merciful and beneficient?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2015 06:32:15 BDT
Lee Omar says:
If I may answer to your question:

The Muslims has to preform prayers and also make prayer to obtain good deeds, and as you should be aware of, believers of the heavenly religions "Islam, Christian and Jewish" are obligated to pray and its a duty we need to fulfil, and its up to us to do so and find a time for it. God "Allah" "The Creator" of everything gave us the choice.

So the choice is ours, whether to follow it or not, so we make our destiny, and its up to us to do so, God "Allah" guided us and reached us through his Prophets and the Messengers, its our job to listen and follow.

The 3 religions I mentioned above are from the same God that we all turn to, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad. its not me to judge who's right and who's wrong. Because Islam is originated from these same prophets and those who were before them, its a series of messengers and each one of them had their own special unique ways and miracles. But at the end of the day, we all have our destiny in our hands. --- I tried to be brief and concise.

Salam