19 of 20 people found the following review helpful
Good router, very, very slow NAS,
This review is from: Belkin Wireless Play Max Modem Router ADSL (BT Line) (Electronics)
When I saw all the feature, sorry 'apps', that this router has, I couldn't wait to get hold of one. I'd read an awful lot of negative reviews, so I was quite apprehensive. Here's my take on things:
- Software & Firmware, make sure you update the device, I didn't use any supplied firmware or software.
The first thing I did was find the PC software and device firmware from the Belkin (UK) website under
the support section, this was very easy to find.
- ADSL connection - I haven't seen any drop outs, very stable.
- Wifi, very strong and stable on both bands,
It does run dual band at the same time, great for avoiding the microwave!
PC's with N adapters on 5GHz, old stuff around the house (a/b/g) on 2.4 GHX, great.
You can't link the 2.4 + 5GHz together to get even faster speeds, even if you have the play adapter.
- Vuze Torrents, * YES *, I'm still getting my head around this but it does work.
Once you have devices enabled in Vuze the Belkin appears as an offline downloader.
When your computer goes to sleep, the belkin continues to download the torrent to a 'downloads'
folder on a USB drive connected to the USB port on the back of the router.
I can't find any explicit docs around this, but what I do is:
1) In 'options'-> 'devices' uncheck 'automatically manage downloads;.
2) add all my torrent into Vuze
3) Right click on torrent and manually enable torrent for 'offline download'.
(this is my quirky bit)
4) Disconnect or switch off your PC wifi adapter.
- The Belkin is now downloading your torrent to the local USB drive.
5) Remove the torrents from Vuze, and close Vuze
6) Connect wifi back
There is probably a correct way, but if anyone has a manual on this, please let me know.
- NAS, - I have a 1TB buffalo USB drive connected to the Belkin play max to facilitate the torrent downloads
This is the slowest link in the world! 15-20 minuts to transfer a 700MB file!
I'm already looking at getting a QNAP 210 or 1000P to do both the NAS and Torrent function.
- I moved from the Belkin N to the Belkin Play Max for all the new features
and to avoid drop outs with the Microwave (so at least I get the microwave bit covered).
- The new 'Apps' are much better on other products.
- Access control is still only by time and MAC address (very basic, no family safety stuff)
- The WiFi connection is very good.
- Nice to switch off PC while torrents download.
- I feel ok about my purchase for the price.