3.0 out of 5 stars Indigestion, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Paperback)
I bought this book because I was determined to move from Photoshop Elements 9 to Lightroom and needed a text to get me going quickly. Well, this book is authoritive, but it is also very repetitive and thus quite slow going. In my opinion it is probably twice as thick (and perhaps proportionally expensive too) as it needs to be. I found the first two or three chapters hard going and it certainly did not give me the flying start I wanted. No one could fault its design and illustration, but it just takes a long time to get to the nitty gritty. Personally I resent reading what he is going to tell me and then a slow trawl through the details of doing it, with every possible combination of setup covered.

I think it needs an early chapter that gets over the business of importing my image files into the catalog (especially from PSE as that is very skimpily covered) and basic "development" methods and then later proceeds to all the embellishments and controls that are possible to customise it for your personal use. So I will be looking for some kind of quick and dirty (but safe) setup, which I can then refine using this book. I would also like to see more on the basic principles of how the program does what it does, especially in the develop module.

Maybe I am the exception, but this book is not giving me what I want and I am beginning to wonder whether Lightroom is going to be as easy to use as the LR adverts suggest. Maybe Photoshop Elements is quite adequate for my photographic needs. However I will persist.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Apr 2012 10:49:20 BDT
N. J. Hedge says:
David persevere with Lightroom it's worth it - I do 95% of my work there. For a newcomer I would recommend Scott Kelby's book as an approachable work with an easy style but Martin Evenings book I have as a definitive reference .

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2012 12:47:52 BDT
Yes, I would echo the comment above. Scott Kelby's books are much better for someone approaching Lightroom for the first time perhaps - with Mr Evening's books going into great depth for the more experienced (though I'm sure they might work for some beginners as well)

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 22:46:32 BDT
Lightroom is easy to use, but this author burdens the would be user with too much information at the very beginning- I found chapter 1 to be pretty useless. Because I'd watched some videos on the Lightroom site I could easily see how the program worked quite quickly.

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 16:16:05 BDT
Red Dolphin says:
I started with DXO straight away. I still want to use DXO (which works without Lightroom but it is far superior for let's say lens distortion corrections) but I was looking for a book that helps me with the basic steps of the not so intuitive flow of Lightroom. I'm sure after having understood the basics of Lightroom I might find it easy to use but hey, your comment is spot on and I will persist from buying this book for a while, until i get an initial level of proficiency with lightroom.
Please understand, I know photography well, it is just those tabs and how lightroom itself wants me to use it that i cannot quite comprehend intuitively.

Posted on 11 Oct 2012 13:33:53 BDT
ShammyB says:
About 80% of using Lightroom is simply importing your images and then going into the develop module and for each image you want to edit:
- set white balance and do any cropping,
- then simply work down the controls on the right hand side *in the order they appear*, fine tuning with the spot removal and adjustment brush as you go.

So you do exposure first, then get a bit more detailed and fine tune the light/dark ranges seperately, then onto colour correction, and finally onto the misc stuff (Noise reduction, sharpening, etc) at the bottom.

As you get more advanced, you will realise that there are one or two things you need to do first of all that are right at the bottom, but dont worry about them when you start out.

You don't really need the Evening book to learn LR, just get stuck into the application itself and use the book as a reference (and not at all to begin with). LR is essentially laid out so that all the UI is in the order you would use it, so once you know that, 80% of it is just following your nose!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›