5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, Another Fine Satire by Elton, 1 Jun 2008
This review is from: Blind Faith (Hardcover)
I wasn't going to review but I feel several people on here are missing the point.

While the book isn't as laugh-out-loud hilarious as some of his other works are, the evident satire laced in every chapter of the novel is evident and brought many wry smiles to my face. Its themes are relevant to all of us and while it may not be "high brow literature," although its message is one of seeking intelligence in a society that persists to "dumb down" the world, this is entirely Elton's point, I feel.

The idea of the colloquial language and the easy-to-read, small chaptered format signifies that the book appeals to all audiences. It pleases those who will laugh at the satire, those who simply devour a well-structured funny yet dark storyline, and those who view the novel as an approach to all audiences to mix high brow and low brow culture so that such an apocalyptic situtation doesn't occur.

Maybe I'm looking too much into this but that's the feeling I get. Those who read "high brow" literature will pick up on its self-advertised parallels to 1984, its farcical Utopian world and the links with the mediaeval Spanish Inquisiton, while those who do not read as often will be able to access the themes with ease, therefore enabling the entire audience to pursue the idea that it is not just one culture this novel or any other entertainment is or should be aimed at, but a mixture of the two. Therein lies a truly powerful story and I feel Blind Faith accomplishes it.

It isn't trying to be 1984 - not in the slightest. Of course Elton will have heard and read many times no doubt one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century, but while he may have drawn some inspiration from it, his purpose I believe was never to re-write it for the "Myspace generation" as one person has said. He took a gamble when he chose to write about a society with no privacy because of course there would be certain people who would say it's a cheap rip-off of 1984.

But it isn't at all. It's a completely different style of novel with a completely different message. While some of the themes may be similar and some of the elements also, I don't believe it was Elton's intention to warn us of what a capitalist and overly conservative society may achieve in the future, as I believe was Orwell's aim, but to ridicule aspects of our society and to provoke emotions from the audience and above all to provide an entertaining story with a heart-warming ending that perhaps suggests, in this increasinly shallow world, that these people who crave understanding and privacy still remain.

At face value, the novel is comic, light even in places but there always remains the constant darkness, the always frightening reminder that we must not fall into the hands of a society which is slowly starting to become obsessed with sharing everything and hiding nothing.

The end was dramatic and powerful as many of Elton's novels are. I found myself grinning along with Trafford as he made his final speech. I find that novels that cause me to emote are often some of the best.

I think I'm coming across as trying to advertise the world's best book, but it isn't by any means. Most of those are mentioned in this novel though ironically. However I feel it deserves more recognition for being a fantastic novel than it has already received.

I was disappointed with Elton's last novel, Chart Throb, which although funny lacked a certain amount of punch for me, but Blind Faith more than makes up for it. Elton's back at his satirical best.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]