5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Zi6, 3 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera - Black (Electronics)
I do minor video work, and am by no means have professional knowledge of all cameras. I've been using the zi8 all day to film a small project, and I have to say it has done a pretty good job. It is much better than the previous zi6 model, but isn't without a few minor issues.

Comparing them side by side right now, the zi8 records and displays colours much better, where as the zi6 isn't as sharp and has a slight blue tint to it. However neither of these cameras perform great in low lighting. The best feature about the zi8 is the fact you can plug in an external microphone, so you can record crystal clear sound, even though the built in mic is reasonable quality. Also the zi8 will play back sound in its preview mode. One thing the zi6 does better is smooth zooming, whereas the zi8 zooms in block segments. The way the USB connection flicks out on the zi6 is much more slick, than the rubbery styled flick attachment on the zi8, but both do the job fine.

Both cameras are similar size and are great for just carrying around on the go in your pocket. Although I didn't receive any cloth pouch to put my zi8 in, so I would recommend buying one of those to protect the screen & lens. I prefer the rechargeable battery in the zi8, but if it runs out on the go you can't easily replace, unlike with the zi6.

The only thing missing from both these cameras is a flash/light. The zoom feature could also be improved.

***Edit***
The firmware for this product has been update, and the zoom is now smoother. Please read comments for more info.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2009 00:45:08 GMT
GrrMeister says:
I understand that the zoom (particularly when in HD 1080x1920 mode can be improved with a software update. I too have found this 'jerky' action, but not tried the software update yet having only just aquired a Zi8 but so far have been amazed how good it is and used with a tripod what stunning results can be achieved. By the way are you aware that the Zi6 is PRIOR to the Zi and both are well inferior, although the Zi would be suited to WET outdoor use. Have had one of these (Zi) and returned it as understood it to be FULL HD (1080x1920) but in fact it is only 1280 x 760 which the Zi8 will also do in either 30fps or 60fps for high speed action. It will 'film' in LOW LIGHT set on WVGA mode and the results are also stunning.

Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2009 19:11:29 GMT
Thanks for the tips about the software updates and filming in the dark, I will try them out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2009 11:58:28 GMT
This is all very helpful, many thanks to the both of you!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2010 22:32:27 GMT
Mac says:
can you give me some idea how long the battery lasts. Also I am thinking of buying it to take to Orlando to film my kids in Disney and was a bit worried about the voltage for being able to recharge. Can you offer any further help; will it work on 110Vac?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2010 01:20:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2010 01:27:41 GMT
The battery lasts about 2 hours, although I haven't tested a full run cycle. I don't really know about the 110Vac I'm afraid, phoning/emailing Kodak might be the best way to find out.

Posted on 13 Mar 2010 09:03:00 GMT
I recently bought the Zi8 and having seen the reviews immediately updated the firmware to OS 1.6. The Zoom is smooth.
You can easily and very very cheaply buy an extra battery and thus have a spare for when you are out and about.
I use an extension USB lead when plugging into my laptop, but the regular built-in USB plut does like you say work fine if a little fiddly. Regarding up-grading the firmware, all went well but I seem to have lost the Arcsoft software and I didn't sync the camcorder to my laptop prior to updating the firmware. Not too bothered as I use Windows Live Movie Maker ( with extra K-Lite codec ) for editing the clips.

Posted on 29 Apr 2010 01:53:23 BDT
Thanks for mentioning the mic socket! That feature makes this recorder a must have for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2010 21:03:31 BDT
Please note that it isn't a 3 pin socket and you will need a converter.

Posted on 27 May 2010 15:45:14 BDT
mike20021969 says:
I'm surpirsed you say it doesn't perform will in low lighting.
This low light video looks pretty good to me:

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2010 21:43:07 BDT
Hmm it isn't too bad there, but the road is quite well lit with the passing cars and street lights. I've only tested it in dark rooms and streets without lights. The Zi8 is still the best pocket video camera I've used, and is good value for money.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›