5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: Samsung NX1000 Digital Compact System Camera - White (20.3MP, 20-50mm Lens Kit) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This must be one of the only times we have made an impulse buy off the back of a TV advert! In this instance it was the hundreds of blokes called David Bailey advert, very clever. My wife liked the neat sleek look of this compact camera (we got the white one), and she wanted a new camera SHE could use, seeing as I already have a Canon EOS600D DSLR, and she was fed up with me never being in any shots.

After reading a few reviews we decided to go for this, plus the bag, and a 16Gb SDRAM card (like others have said, its a pity a card isn't included, given the low cost of memory nowadays).

The camera was delivered in a couple of days, and I'm pleased to say we're impressed by the number of features packed into this Compact, many of which I am used to in my Canon DSLR, plus a few extra which make this excellent for the digital age, although I suspect most of these will get little use since wifey will use Smart mode most of the time.

The wi-fi features are brilliant, and I have tried several of these already with no problems at all (other people reported problems!?);
Once my wireless router was detected and added as an Access Point, all the wi-fi features can be used.
Auto Backup from camera to laptop can be a little bit slow if you have many pics to transfer, and it is probably quicker to transfer/backup using the supplied USB lead.
Dropbox on the laptop detected the camera when plugged in, and quickly loaded all photos and then started syncing to our online Dropbox a/c.
Probably one of the simplest, yet most useful functions is the fact the camera will Email a photo(s) to one or more people, seemingly without any special email setup (no SMTP server stuff, just your email and the people you're sending to), and also reduces the image to a sensible size JPG before sending! Very nice.
You can share pics/video via Facebook, Picasa, Youtube or Photobucket.
Also upload to Windows SkyDrive (cloud).
I was able to download a couple of Android apps (Remote Viewer and MobileLink) to my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and then easily connect using the Smart Link button (which has a cool blue LED ring light when active) to MobileLink to view and transfer pics onto the phone, and of course once on the phone your possibilities for sharing are endless.
With RemoteViewer app you can preview in realtime whatever the camera is pointing at, then control the camera to take and then download pics (or video?) to the phone. Cool. Maybe someone will think of a novel use for this?
Pictures can also be made available for viewing on your HDMI TV providing it uses DLNA over wi-fi/network connection, or directly by means of an optional HDMI lead (not tried this yet).
The light sensitivity of the camera is excellent for indoor/party/night-time shots (ISO goes up to 12800!) which means its good for these kind of shots even without the included neat little flash unit which plugs into a proper hot-shoe mount.
The menu system is very comprehensive and well-presented. Being familiar with the various modes of a DSLR camera I found I was able to recognise and use most features without any reference to the manual. I think wifey might take a little while to delve into things, but already (after only 2 days) she loves this camera.
I'm surprised how much is packed into it. Even down to level-detectors which show an aircraft cockpit style gimbal, so you know that the camera is horizontally level in two axis, for perfect landscape shots.
Of course there are a good variety of gimicky overlay frames and filter effects which have become very popular in phone camera apps lately (like Instagram), so you can apply effects, fish-eye, toy/miniature, sketch, halftone, vignette, dawn/sunset, soft focus, old film, etc.
With other lense choices available, this really is an excellent camera, and considerably smaller than a proper DSLR so its convenient enough to easily carry around. I'm a little envious, but have been told to keep my hands off!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Nov 2012 22:10:18 GMT
safcforever says:
Good review,I can't wait for mine to arrive my first proper camera as to say , And all the better as i won it on the David Bailey Samsung competition !,'HAPPY DAY'S :)

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 14:34:03 GMT
Hi loved your review ! This may seem a silly question but as a novice I want to know on the 20-50 mm lens how big is the zoom ? I want to buy one ASAP but until I find this out my husband won't let me buy it haha, so a speedy reply would be great. Thanks Babs

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 17:52:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2013 19:32:42 GMT
J. Prior says:
That's a little difficult to answer. After trying it out in our living room I suppose in simple terms it zooms to slightly more than double the view. Have a look at this page which gives example shots zoomed to min and max. I just googled "20-50mm lens zoom examples"

Its probably worth mentioning that even though the zoom is not fantastic (compared to say a 300mm telephoto zoom lens, and you can get a 50-200mm for this camera), because the resolution is high at 20.3Mpixel the resulting photos can be zoomed in a lot on your computer without too much loss of quality. Really whether zooming matters depends on the kind of photography you want to do, e.g. seriously consider a high zoom if you want to capture wildlife from a distance! (And then think about buying a decent tripod!!)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 08:19:25 GMT
Thank you so much for you reply I think I have finally convinced my husband that it is in fact an extremely fab camera for his darling wife lol ! And we can always buy the bigger zoom lens at a later date, thanks Babs

Posted on 11 Dec 2012 18:56:03 GMT
Franz says:
thanks for a very good review on the samsung n x 1000. reviews like this are very helpful to novices like me and the detailed functions of the camera that you have explained is the differance between spending £400 plus or £100 snap and shoot type of compact.i have a samsung pro 815 which i have had for some time but i have always used in on auto mode. it is a very heavy camera to carry around all day and at 77 years old and with artheritus in my wrists i need a lightweght modern camera like the samsung you have reviewed for us. many thanks

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 13:15:59 GMT
A. Zhang says:
Hi, very nice review! Helped me make my mind up to buy this camera. I was wondering though, how did you make the camera sync with your online Dropbox? Is this over the wifi or only when you plug in the camera?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013 19:30:35 GMT
J. Prior says:
Dropbox (already installed on our Win 7-64bit laptop) detected the camera (after installing the software/drivers) and starts downloading the images from the camera. Once the pictures are on the laptop, Dropbox (on the laptop) syncs them to the online account. This is all handled by the Dropbox software. There is nothing special about the camera to do this. To be clear, there is no Dropbox functionality on the camera itself. Only those I have mentioned (FB, Picasa, Youtube, Photobucket, and upload to Windows SkyDrive (cloud). Also since the photos are quite high resolution we soon maxed out the quota of our FREE Dropbox account!

Posted on 10 Feb 2013 04:51:16 GMT
Mel says:
I've got the same one too and I love it my hubby gave to me last Christmas as present because he knows I love picture taking now I dont used much of my Sony DSLR but I still love my Cannon still the best. Now I've got the three best one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›