2.0 out of 5 stars Freeview HD Channels Don't Work, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Samsung UE40EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi Ready (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
So I have to admit, this is a decent TV. It's got a good picture, and you can get smart TV features if you buy the additional dongle.

But the product description clearly says that you should be able to get Freeview HD channels (without having to buy a Freeview HD box). Many of the negative descriptions on here seemed to be the result of Amazon getting the TVs from Germany -- and the German models weren't quite working properly here in the UK.

So I thought I would buy this TV from another company, where I was fairly confident it would be a normal British model. Unfortunately, I still have an issue. I live in a strong TV signal area. I also have an LG TV LG 42LM620T 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses(see my other reviews), and it picks up the Freeview HD channels just fine.

This Samsung TV does NOT pick up the Freeview HD channels. I've done a software update, re-tuned the channels about six times, but nothing works. The Guide feature shows all the channels receiving a strong signal, but it's always patchy and often just black.

My other criticism for this TV is that it makes an annoying beeping sound whenever you flip channels or adjust the volume. This is a minor point, but I don't know why the TV needs to beep every time I change channels or adjust the volume.

Overall, if you care nothing about Freeview HD, then do consider this TV. I haven't tried all the Smart TV features, but the BBC iPlayer does work. If HD TV is important to you, you might want to consider another product.

==UPDATE==
I called Samsung who walked me through a barrage of tests. I live in a strong signal area of 97 to 100% signal strength. We reset the TV several times, but the channels still didn't come through. I exchanged this TV for another one, and the SAME PROBLEM occurred. I assumed the channel issues on Amazon were due to the TVs being shipped in from Germany. There is just a flaw in these TVs whereby they have a harder time picking up HD channels. If that means nothing to you, then give this TV a shot. But I have to say that I much prefer LG.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2013 23:27:41 BDT
MystiKaL says:
Hi there, as my post reply to you will explain, have you checked channels 101 to 104? This is because there are only 4 HD channels (not Samsung's fault, just the Freeview set up anywhere in general ).

With regards to the beep you can switch this off if you want. Menu > System > General > Sound Feedback > switch this OFF.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 15:38:39 BDT
Many thanks for the sound tip.
Yes, I am aware that there are only four HD channels. Those channels (101 to 104) do appear in my TV Guide, and even they show reasonable signal strength, they simply do not come in. When you click the channels, it just gives you a blank screen and says "weak signal strength." (this is despite being a full bar of signal strength in the guide). Moreover, my LG TV picks up the HD channels just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2013 16:32:13 BDT
MystiKaL says:
Hi, no problems. It may be worth trying a Firmware Update and seeing if that works for you. If not, may be worth calling Samsung and see what they advise you, as your Freeview HD channels need to work.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2013 20:58:58 BDT
Yes. I did call Samsung. They told me the TV was obviously defective. I got another one, but the same problem persists. There is clearly an inherent fault with the Samsung TVs not picking up the HD channels, as I am not the only person to complain about this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›