1.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone, until..., 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought my Samsung Galaxy SII in May, from Carphone Warehouse. Not wanting to be stuck in a contract I paid for the handset. I was extremely happy with it until just over a month later. The phone hadn't turned off properly, and was showing a flashing symbol consisting of a battery with a thermometer and a yellow warning triangle. I couldn't turn the phone back on without first plugging it in to charge. There were other peripheral problems, such as the phone trying to connect to Samsung Kies when swiping away the lock screen.

After contacting Samsung, they told me to take the handset to Carphone Warehouse for repair. After a week of waiting they returned it saying they couldn't find a fault, but they had done a factory reset and re-flashed the phone. The problem was still there.

I contacted Samsung again and they asked me to send it to them for repair. After a month I contacted Samsung and they told me the repair had been cancelled, and that I would have to ring Regenersis, who I had never heard of but turned out to be their repair contractors. Quite why I should have to deal with their contractors was beyond me but to hurry things up I rang them. They did not have any record of my phone and were only able to locate it with the IMEI number. They again said they couldn't find a fault, but they couldn't find out what the fault was supposed to be or send it back as the information had been lost.

Very angry now, I contacted Samsung again who told me that the repair would now be sorted out properly, but they would not consider supplying a replacement phone as their policy is to attempt to repair a handset three times, and this still counted as the second repair. No matter that my £500 phone had now been out of my possession for 6 weeks.

After a further 2 weeks I had still heard nothing so I rang again, and was told that they had not received my handset... After some discussion Samsung agreed to refund me for the phone, as long as I could provide proof of purchase and proof of postage which thankfully I could. It still took another 2 weeks for them to give me that.

Interestingly, a few weeks later I received a package through the post containing the phone and 3 letters. The first said that they could not perform a repair the phone as they did not have my insurance details (?), the second said that they could not find a fault with the phone, and the third said that they had repaired the phone. Needless to say the problem was still there.

In short, a fantastic phone for a month. I know that technology like this is occasionally bound to fail, but I expect proper assistance when it does, and Samsung customer service is utterly woeful. I advise you to check any address they give you for returns as the first one they gave me was incomplete, and also to make sure you have proof of postage as their logistics department may be run by a baboon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Nov 2011 14:06:39 GMT
Bad luck to get the runaround like this but shouldn't this feedback be on the Carphone Warehouse equivalent of the Amazon review system? It seems to me that the fault lies equally with them and Samsung rather than Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 17:52:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Nov 2011 09:05:53 GMT
mdizzle says:
Since I am reviewing the Samsung handset, it is a criticism of their customer service. I didn't purchase this phone from Amazon, but if I had their disclaimer refers you to the manufacturer if the purchase is over a month old so I'd have been in the same situation. The only reason the first repair was carried out through Carphone Warehouse is that they were Samsung's preferred repair specialist. All of the customer service experience described above was through Samsung and I did go out of my way to explain that this is not a criticism of Amazon.

The reason I am using Amazon to review this phone is that many people, myself included, use Amazon reviews to make a decision on purchase of high value items, no matter where they plan to make the actual purchase, and I felt that a review of my customer service experience with Samsung was relevant to others looking at this phone.

Update: since Dominic is such a stickler for fairness I have also submitted the above review on both Samsung and Carphone Warehouse sites, though they have yet to get around to posting them. It suits me, since the more people who know that Samsung are the Mac Daddy of terrible customer experience the better.

Incidentally, does anybody else think that Dominic spends a good portion of his spare time refuting negative reviews of this phone?

Update 2: just received the following from Samsung...

Your opinion is very important to us and the Samsung community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on Galaxy S II. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site.

The only guideline I can see that I might possibly have contravened is, "We reserve the right not to post your review if it contains obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum."

I have re-submitted the review, changing the phrase, "their logistics department may be run by a baboon," to "their logistics department is not very efficient."

Update 3: Samsung have emailed me again to say they will not post the review. So, Dominic, this is why I have posted my review on Amazon: so that people will be able to read it.

Posted on 12 Nov 2011 08:04:58 GMT
M. Kakkatil says:
I had similar issue with my S2. It used to heat up when I used Spotify (Always wondered if it was something to do with that app). One fine day the phone heated up and stopped working. My experience with Samsung was painful but the end result was better. Samsung service center kept the phone for 5 weeks before telling me that they couldnt fix it so replaced the board and gave me the phone. It works quite well now. Stopped using spotify (Back to purchased music )

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2011 22:28:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Nov 2011 23:07:52 GMT
I don't actually spend a lot of time at all but I do get emailed by Amazon about all sorts of stuff including responses to stuff I have written which I usually ignore except when it strikes me as worthy of questioning the motives of the authors concerned. Interestingly two other bad "reviews" of this product I have seen which struck me as questionable, one along similar lines to this one have been removed either by Amazon or the authors themselves.
The bottom line, however much you like to pretend it doesn't matter is that this is an Amazon review site, not a Samsung or Carphone Warehouse site, it is good that you have posted them there where they belong.
Also to refute a popular meme, I have no interest in Samsung as a brand in terms of thinking they are any better or worse than any other manufacturer, if they make a decent product as the Galaxy S2 seems to be in my experience then its more interesting to see what flaws people perceive (honestly recounted) than see people simply tell you things you already know. Where your review fails to be useful is that it tells me nothing about the phone (I do know things can malfunction) but stuff about customer service from a supplier that wasn't Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 16:04:59 GMT
JaLaRu says:
I see where Dominic is coming from and he makes a good point but nonetheless, I feel that a review like this is still important for people to be able to see, as this is his experience with the phone manufacturer's customer support, which is a definitely important factor to take into account when purchasing electronics.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 20:21:12 GMT
tigerandyx9 says:
Excelent review and very helpful for future purchases. Samsung has a sustainable bad reputation for service...also in Spain where I am at the moment. Nokia also has a much much better service and warranty!
Comparing your "experience" with my experiences with Apple (over 20years) ... and in spite of the tremendous engineering of the Galaxy, somehow the balance is again for the iPhone in spite of the higher initial costs.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2011 14:20:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2011 14:34:26 GMT
It is a problem with the phone, it doesn't matter who the seller is. I always read the product reviews on Amazon before buying electronic products because I value the opinion of other peoples experience with regard to the product and especially with the back up service when things go wrong.
I personally feel that I have saved my self a lot of time and stress by reading others reviews before buying.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 18:03:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2011 18:04:23 GMT
. says:
I agree with JaLaRu. Whereas party of the first part, I was seriously thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy Note, now I am not going to risk £500 on a new phone and get the sort of runaround so usefully mentioned here, from the idiots working for Samsung Customer Service and their technical department or their outsourced repair function.

Posted on 6 Dec 2011 15:11:34 GMT
Yandi Lee says:
Oh dear i do feel very sorry for this customer and there is no excuse for the poor level of service that was given. All i can say is -, I too had lots of problems , some the same as the buyer above and i upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S2 with Orange. I contacted Orange and i really cant fault them for the care and support that they gave me, they really were very caring and tried so hard to help me and i spoke to a lot of different people as i did have a load of problems, each person i spoke to was the same and they provided a wonderful high level of service. Orange sent me out a brand new phone and even made an appointment to ring me a few days later to check all was ok . If you want a Samsung Galaxy S2 my advice would be go to Orange for it , you don't just end up with a fantastic phone but a fantastic level of after care and help and that's something money cant buy !.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2012 10:23:39 GMT
J. Washbrook says:
Mdizzle's feedback is invaluable and just the kind of stuff I want to know about when researching items on Amazon. I agree with everything Rich60 says re the product and not the vendor. The votes on all the comments (or on your comments the paucity of votes) support this.

I would have hoped that a failure of the kind described would have given the purchaser better rights. Consumer law could be called confusing law. From reading Which? it would seem that very few shops or service organisations are aware of consumer rights.

Thank you for your comments, they have highlighted the issue. Excellent forum, very useful.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›