1.0 out of 5 stars Awkward, clumsy fiction, 2 Dec 2007
This review is from: Sepulchre (Hardcover)
Like the other person here who wrote a bad review of Sepulchre, I have no wish to be vindictive to the author. Writing must be a little like baring your soul and to have it flayed alive must be hard for the author. Justified or not, there are some bitter (as well as some incredibly saccharine) reviews here.

However, though I've never written a review on Amazon before, I felt driven to in this instance. The time-slip novel is my favourite of all genres. Sadly, though I sat down for a rip-roaring read, I did not like this book at all. If you like the time-slip genre there so many better authors. It started ok enough, with atmosphere and setting up of characters, but then it went badly wrong.

The plot is convenient and contrived, the present-day American heroine is phoney (I'm a US citizen) and unnecessarily forced, the phrases are clichéd, the characters all seem cookie-cutter types, each with their own specific role to play without depth, shade, or subtly. The prose has some flair of the commercial writer, but is mainly obtuse and clumsy. Towards the end, the book badly fails and the finale hardly worth all that padding.

Kate Mosse obviously worked hard on the research for this novel - and the text at those points are tedious, overlong and actually quite boring. I do wonder though whether the author might concentrate her skills elsewhere. Still, she might as well cash in while she can until such a time as her publisher thinks she's no longer going to shift books. It does seem a little unfair to abuse us readers, the valuable ever dwindling pool of honest book buyers, into spending our money on such awkward fiction.

My recommendation is if you want a good time-slip novel, try other novelists.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jan 2008 06:31:19 GMT
Jean says:
I had heard of Kate Mosse, but am not familiar with her writing at all, even the type of book she writes. I had a look because I was considering 'having a go' at one of her books. This review, along with others, has persuaded me not to waste my time. I'm originally from the US, so I would be annoyed at the inaccuracies described, and I think life is too short to waste on a poor novel. Thanks for the review!

Posted on 28 Mar 2008 12:22:08 GMT
I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed Labrynth, and had put Sepulchure on my Christmas Wish List looking forward to a good read. Unfortunately it wasn't a good read, and I only finished it out of a sense of duty to my daughter who had bought the book for me.

Posted on 19 Aug 2008 14:45:50 BDT
balvenie says:
I read Labyrinth very quickly. It was a book that tempted me to bed early, so yes, I was looking forward to Sepulchre, and sadly disappointed. Fortunately, I borrowed it from my library so didn't pay out, but by the fourth chapter I'd given up and taken it back again. The Americanisms made me wonder if was reading a version written for that market, but it seems not.
I do think that after an epic work like Labyrinth, the author might have had some pressure from her publishers to strike while the iron was hot. The editing is poor, and I do wish writers could be left to just write at their own pace instead of being signed up to multi book deals to be produced over a short period of time. I'm sure the reading public would rather wait for a worthy follow up novel than feel cheated by something rushed. Being an author is not easy, but Kate Mosse has got talent. I hope she gets over the poor reviews and dumps her agent and publishing house as soon as possible, because I blame them, not her.

Posted on 21 May 2009 12:29:09 BDT
Hello- thanks for the review. Have just finished my exams and desperate for a good time-slip novel. Any suggestions?

Posted on 1 Dec 2010 23:17:54 GMT
Gosh! How surprising. I thought the book excellent. I read it when it first came out and as I this comment, the characters and events are alive in my mind again. Bad writing doesn't produce this. Granted, she is not pulp fiction, but literature and as such not everyone's cup of tea. I could never get into an Austen novel but would not say she couldn't write!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2012 12:29:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Oct 2012 12:38:00 BDT
Sorry. Am I right in thinking Sepulchre is even worse than Labyrinth? Sacre bleu! Some achievement.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2014 10:57:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2014 11:06:28 GMT
Bookfriend says:
Better late than never Ms S. L.!
Have you tried Barbara Erskine? she's my very favourite in the time-slip genre. Pamela Hartshorne is a recent find and great, too. Susanna Kearsley does time-slips with a strong flavour of romance. Hope this helps.
Always looking myself, any other suggestions - anyone?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (308 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01