5.0 out of 5 stars First Smart Phone, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: LG ELECTRONICS P880 4X True HD black (Electronics)
After some years I finally bought my first smart phone. The old Nokia brick though still going strong was getting "amusing" comments from my peers. I didn't want to spend more than £100, oh maybe £200 then, well maybe £300 but thats it.

So by chance the (LG made) Nexus 4 was just about to come out, but by the time it did they had sold out within 30 minutes. Put off wondering when the next batch was due, I was told about the LG Optimus 4x HD which looked just as good on spec's. And I think in some respects even better with the option to expand the memory via SD card and didn't need a micro sim card either unlike the Nexus 4 - Wasnt looking forward to choping up my giffgaff sim! In addition the phones price was very good in comparison to similar well known brands out there. I would say I got a lot of phone for the money.

I made the purchase and got delivery of the phone within the estimated time. Prior to this i was contacted by the sellers as they were having problems locating a LG charger. Instead they told me a HTC one would be sent and assured me it would work fine. Was a little warey of this being my first phone but can say they were correct. The charger and phone are working together as they should. No problems at all with the product or the sellers. Would be happy to purchase from them again.

The phone itself is a lovely design. Body nice, being 'more' square around the corners than its competitors, makes it stand out slightly from the crowd. Very slim with nice detailing all around (shame i bought a case that hides it) and above all feels solid though not heavy. Screen image quality is amazingly crisp, bright and a good size. The glass looks nearly frameless.
The battery life is good. I did a lot of reading up on smart phones and a common issue seems to be great phone but the battery doesn't last long. I'd say I'm not a heavy user but have used it for a variety of items - phone, sms, iplayer, youtube, including wi-fi running all day, occasionally maps with gps on, and its coped very well with more than enough to get me through to the next day or two.
Finally the seller included a free screen protector, nice. How do you apply those things without going nuts! Hate the bubbles. In the end i gave up as even though the screen was clean I'd took so long trying, the film seemed to have picked up some airborne dirt on the sticky side. Are there evening classes out there for this kinda thing??
A happy ending for my first smart phone purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2013 18:00:00 GMT
Daniel says:
Good review, thanks.

I applied my screen protectors in the bathroom as there is less air-born dust. Quick as possible and holding both surfaces upside down. Even then its hit and miss. I also once used a drop of water and worked it out.

The only reason you need a screen protector is resale. The screens are tough as nails and do not get very many scuffs (far less than the screen protectors as and that's what you end up looking at anyway)

Posted on 25 Apr 2013 02:15:52 BDT
Sylvia Scott says:
Try floating your screen protectors on using cold water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid added. Simply float the protector on then squeegee the water out using the edge of a credit card. This removes most of the water and any tiny specs of dust and the remainder (if any) will simply evaporate. Dry with a tissue. This is the method used to wrap vehicles in vinyl film so it works
‹ Previous 1 Next ›