4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
45 seconds to fill my kitchen with fumes...,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Sharp R658SLM, 20L, 800W microwave, 1000W quartz grill (Kitchen & Home)
I was quite pleased with this compact microwave, it didn't take up a lot of room and it worked flawlessly for about 4 weeks. Then one evening I put some fish in the microwave to cook, and got this odor of hot plastic. The fish was in a plastic dish, so I double checked to make sure I hadnt accidentally put it in grill mode, and that the dish was OK, but all seemed fine, so I restarted the microwave. Within 45 seconds fumes were seeping out around the door and from the vents on the side. I turned it off but the fumes continued. On opening it up I saw they they were pouring through the grating that protects the internal light. I only have a small kitchen, so tried to pick up the microwave and take it outside, but almost burned myself, as it was really hot on the base on the right hand side where the smoke was coming from. I had to use a folded towel to be able to get it out of the house, and by then I had to use another towel in order to breath the air in my kitchen. Even 30 minutes later the base was noticably hot to the touch and the smell lingered for a long time. I probably was just unlucky and got a faulty unit, but I'd not have another of these, as I'd simply not be able to trust it, and dread to think what'd have happened if I'd just turned it on and left it running.