5.0 out of 5 stars iPads in Space!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Aukey Desk Stand Holder Desktop Bed Clamp Mount for iPad 4, 3, 2 - Flexible Arm, Fully Adjustable, Hover Gooseneck (AK-3D) (Electronics)
Stunning. High quality iPad holder. Warning! New uses for your iPad!

My old iPad has lived in a cover-all folio for over three years and very little (nothing beyond cleaning or moving it in to a new one) has enticed me to remove it from this case. But recently I was asked to review one of these gooseneck stands by Aukey (for iPad2/3/4) which changed all of that. To fit the frame the iPad had to go commando and the impact this holder had means now it will do so often.

First of all the packaging and presentation was impressive and you could easily imagine seeing it being allowed shelf space in Apple retail stores. Unpacking, the heft of the engineering build, materials and finish are immediately apparent. Comprises of a solid metal clamp, with soft high friction grip to fix securely and firmly nearby desk or other structure without damage, a black metal gooseneck which can screw into two places at 90° to each other in the clamp and a three point frame (two corner clips and a central third clip) on a ball-pivot for holding an iPad. The packaging shows it clamped to the rear stand of an iMac but there are many other use cases I can think of. I have clamped mine to a small side table by my favourite easy chair where I often write whilst the TV is on.

The ability to place the iPad screen anywhere I wanted was a huge revelation to me especially because the holder removes the worry about knocking it off whatever perch I found. Previously I have balanced the iPad wherever I could, on a stool, chair arm or knee but that was never safe. Often I had to give up and move to a a table.

The Aukey allows me to have the screen float securely in space, in landscape, in just the right place next to my MacBook Air screen, acting either as a OSX desktop extension (Air Display 2 iOS App required) or just as a display of notes held in an iOS App. This is a big help in productivity.

Another great use I find is to use a Bluetooth keyboard to type directly into the iPad which previously meant also sitting at a desk as balancing both items on knees is not comfortable (actually screen keyboard typing when the iPad up on the gooseneck is less feasible anyway because of positioning and springiness).

Securing the iPad into the frame and removing it again is very easy via flexing back on a tab on the third clip. I use screen protector and they did not the lift the edge in any way. All the joints on the gooseneck are smooth in action and adjustable, they tighten up very nicely by hand without any tools. My only suggestion is I would like to see 'upgrade' frames offered for when you get a new tablet as only the clip frame needs changing.

This will change my iPad usage dramatically for the good eking more use out of that investment. Only downside is its tired battery is going to get hammered even more through all this increased usage. Should have tried one of these a long time ago.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]