4,414 of 4,647 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars For Me - Better than my iPad!, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
I've had an iPad 2 tablet for a while and, though I love it, it isn't the ideal tablet for me and this is mainly due to the fact that it is so large, bulky and heavy.

A 10 inch tablet is wonderful for watching movies and iPlayer stuff but I can't fit it in my bag and it is cumbersome and heavy to hold in bed at night when I like to read books with the Kindle app dimmed down.

So, as soon as I saw that Amazon were bringing out a 7 inch screen device, I jumped at the chance to get one. I had minor quibbles when I saw the iPad Mini was coming out but when I saw the price which is almost what I paid for my 10 inch iPad 2 - seriously Apple? You're having a laugh! It's way too pricy for what it is combined with the fact that the specs are not nearly as good as the Kindle Fire HD.

PROS OF KINDLE FIRE HD:

1) It is small, portable and light enough to take out with me no matter where I go. Fits into my bag very nicely while still being a useful size for Internet, email, games, books and more.

2) Quick and easy access to all your Amazon content: all my music, Kindle books, games and apps, movies from LoveFilm and Amazon shopping all in one handy place. OK you can do this with most other tablets but not so seamlessly integrated.

MP3s you buy from Amazon are automatically stored in the cloud for you for free - and you can even upload some of your own MP3 music to the cloud for free. If you want to simply add MP3s onto the device itself, you can do that by connecting your Kindle Fire to your PC with the lead it came with and then adding them manually into the correct folder - someone else said this is called the music folder. I haven't yet tried it because I haven't needed to.

3) Beautiful backlit screen with adjustable brightness, what can I say. Really looks crisper than my iPad 2 device.

Tested this in bed last night. So much lighter and easier to hold than the 10 inch iPad for reading and because it is backlit (unlike my old Kindle Keyboard) I can carry on reading it when the lights are out. You might want to try the free GSam Screen Dimmer if you need to dim the screen even more - it worked great for me.

4) Awesome sound either out loud from the speakers or with using headphones in the headphone jack. Seriously, if you are really into music, this is the tablet to get because you won't get a better sound experience even with a pricier tablet.

I tested this side by side with the same games and music on hubby's Google Nexus tablet last night and the Kindle Fire was the clear winner with regards to a richer, sound experience.

5) Easy and intuitive to use. At least it is for me anyway. The carousel displays all your most recent items. If you want to add items from the carousel into a Favourites section, press and hold down on a carousel item and choose Add to Favourites. You can see all your favourite apps etc by clicking on the Star symbol which is bottom right - love that feature.

If you don't want the last web page you looked at shown on the carousel then go to Settings | Applications | Silk - and uncheck Display most recent page in Carousel

I love the fact that Amazon recommends items that other people have bought under the items in your Carousel display. You might not like this, if so go to Settings | Applications | Amazon Home Recommendations and select hide so they do not display.

6) Appears to be very tough and well-built though I've popped it into a case as I do with most gadgets.

The wide bezel around the edge makes it easy to hold and grip the device without accidentally touching the screen and pressing something you don't want to.

CONS OF KINDLE FIRE HD:

1) Less choice of apps. You get spoiled with the Apple app store because they have so many apps. However, I did find that I got bored looking for apps on my iPad after the novelty wore off and I just used the same core set all the time. Sometimes having too much choice is simply overwhelming.

Apparently it is possible to get the Google Play apps, perhaps do an internet search on that - I'm too busy working my way through the Amazon apps right now. Might try it at some point.

2) Physical volume buttons and the Off switch are a little hard to find especially in the dark. Amazon could definitely improve on that.

It is very easy to change the volume on-screen with the top menu that slides down even when you are on the Internet or reading.

3) I want to be able to buy and own (not rent) digital movies from Amazon like the Americans do - I believe that there are more complex laws in Europe but hope that eventually this will be possible. I certainly think Amazon are trying their hardest to deliver what they can to the UK market.

I found it very hard to connect my existing Lovefilm account with the device - Amazon should make that much easier if they can. But I did get it working.

Essentially you click on the Videos section, then you click on the middle bar icon at the bottom which gives you some settings. I had to log in to LoveFilm with my existing account details, once there I clicked above a film on a link that mentioned something about connecting accounts and then logged in with my Amazon acc details to link it all up. Now my Lovefilm items come up in the Videos tab. Sorry if it is vague but that's what I remember from the process. There is help in the on device help guide too!

NOTE ON iPLAYER - yes it does work. You need to download 2 apps - BBC iPlayer and BBC Media Player. Then you just use the iPlayer app as normal and it works like a charm.

Apparently you can add your own movies but only MP4 ones that have NO protection - ie ones you got from itunes won't work because they are protected. I think you can add them by transferring with the cable - they do not show up in the Videos tab (that's Lovefilm stuff) they show up apparently in APPS / Personal Videos. I haven't tried it but read about it and hope that helps people :)

Really delighted overall with my KFHD - I can see that the iPad might be made redundant because the 7inch screen of the Kindle Fire is so much more practical for me which means it's going to get a lot more use.

Thanks Amazon!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2012 10:51:36 BDT
drohnwerks says:
Have you managed to get the Google Play store on your kindle yet? They have a fair few more apps :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 11:17:21 BDT
didnt think you could get Google Play on the kindle fire hd, how do you do it? have 2 ordered for my girls for christmas and am waiting for them to be delivered :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 12:37:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2012 12:40:43 BDT
 says:
That is one reason why buying a Google Nexus 7 is a better idea than this. Stick the free Kindle App on that and you have a better Kindle Fire. Quad core, too.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 18:35:19 BDT
drohnwerks says:
You'll have to download the Play app to your computer and use a bit of ninja cunning to get it installed (which is probably why most users won't do it) Google "Sideloading Google Play apps onto a Kindle Fire" for more info - this will be the first thing I do when mine arrives, :)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 21:27:54 BDT
C. Shepherd says:
Missing the point with the Kindle fire tablets, amazon is after a different market, not to compete with the nexus really, they want you to become amazon people, buy their music, books, rent films, play the odd game. They are giving you a basic android platform underneath that runs their skin.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 07:50:59 BDT
Has it got a back light like I pad so I can read at night without putting my lamp on ?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 09:46:26 BDT
Marie says:
yes it is backlit just like an ipad but lighter and easier to hold in bed for night reading :)

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 10:29:32 BDT
Marie says:
Just edited this review to update with new and hopefully useful findings. Hopefully Amazon will get the latest edit up for people quickly :)

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 11:18:39 BDT
M. A. Jones says:
In what way was linking your lovefilm account hard? I had no problem, literally i just entered my email and password and that was it.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 12:21:32 BDT
Marie says:
Really? I probably went about it in a totally strange manner then!

It definitely wasn't easy for me to work out how to link the accounts - it wasn't a step by step process. Once I logged into LoveFilm with my details, I had no idea what I should do after that to get the accounts joined up.

But all solved now and I've been happily watching movies on the KF today. It's a great little screen.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›