4.0 out of 5 stars Good but put me in Camp Hardwicke, 13 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This film has divided fans, I think, as to whether they preferred Twilight, directed by Catherine Hardwicke, or prefer Chris Weitz on board as a new director. Personally, I think Twilight was better and wished they had kept the same director.

There are lots of things to enjoy in this movie. Kristen Stewart is on top form and is growing into a fine actress; Taylor surprised me as a very good Jacob; and Pattinson, of course, is as gorgeous and charismatic as ever (except for his clothes, perhaps - he is dressed like a fusty college prof at times, so I am convinced whoever designed his wardrobe was on Team Jacob! I much preferred his black T-shirts and James Deans jeans in Twilight). Also, if you are fan of the books you will be pleased as it is more loyal to the book 'New Moon' on a scene by scene basis. The soundtrack is good and there are some great scenes, such as the magical underwater scene, and the action scenes in Italy at the end.

However, I think Hardwicke did a better job at capturing the aching, love-lust crazed nature of Bella & Edward's love affair. I disagree with reviewers who say Bella is selfish or pathetic for moping about after Edward goes - the whole point of their love is that, like a modern day Romeo and Juliet, it's all-consuming and they can't live without each other. I liked the intense idealism of their love for each other and I feel it's the breathing heart of the books. That said, in Twilight, every scene between Bella/Edward was so mesmerising - the music and direction and camera angles all sought to squeeze out every drop of the sizzling magic between them. I don't think I've ever seen such amazing on-screen chemistry and I didn't feel the scenes in this film were as strong. I know Edward has a smaller role but some of the love scenes in New Moon (the novel) are the strongest in the series. The scenes at the end where Edward explains his love/reason for leaving seemed very rushed compared to the moving and rather beautiful scenes in the book. Other scenes also felt slightly rushed eg when Edward is walking Bella down the school corridor and tells her she's everything to him - such big, important lines, which almost seemed thrown away; Hardwicke would have had them standing still, with her classic, gorgeous close-ups of their faces, and she would have made those lines really resonate. I do wish they'd also kept in Bella's Lullaby and that exquisite score from Twilight, which I liked so much I bought on CD. I did find the classical music score a little cheesy in places, especially when Bella/Edward are reunited.

The new director previously directed American Pie and I think he's good at high school comedy as some of the best scenes were the comic ones - the night where Bella goes to see a movie is deliciously funny. However, he didn't seem, to me, to be a great director for a sweeping love story.

If you're on Team Jacob, however, you will adore this movie. The friendship between them gets massive screen-time and there is a great chemistry between Taylor/Kristen.

I personally feel that capturing a book on screen isn't just about being 100% loyal to it - it's about capturing the spirit, the mood, the feel of it. I preferred the feel and intensity of Twilight and this film wasn't totally there for me. I'd like to see Hardwicke come back on board for Breaking Dawn.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jan 2010 22:38:28 GMT
Currer Bell says:
I agree wholly with your comments. This was good, but not excellent in my opinion. As a huge fan of the books due to the individually special and powerful love between Bella and Edward, I was disappointed to see its absence in the scenes which, as you stated, needed to be the most breathtakingly intense. However, it was a good film, true to the book in its screenplay, with fab acting from all. Fingers crossed for Eclipse to be less HA HA, and more oo la la me thinks : )

Posted on 16 Jan 2010 10:31:03 GMT
M. Kirk says:
I also agree with this person, the film was true to the book, but the director did not bring out the true feelings of the characters
on how they feel for one another, there were scenes in the film which should have had every feeling within you fighting to be released
jabob was short changed on his feeling for bella, and how hard he found it becoming a wolf, bella is already to torn over her mixed feeling
for both characters (how will you intensify that without going overboard in the coming films without her becoming a nervous wreck.). Also the
Edward/Bella scenes (reasons for leaving and staying) they were rushed and fell flat. The music was good, the camara work and special effects
were great, BUT PLEASE FOR BREAKING DAWN PLEASE BRING BACK CATHERINE HARDWICKE, AS THIS LADY HAS A TRUE TALENT AS A DIRECTOR
I,M A TEAM HARDWICKE If anyone can bring out all the casts true feelings, acting abilities, raw emotion its this lady.

Posted on 18 Jan 2010 09:13:21 GMT
I agree to an extent. I thought Weitz did a great job with New Moon. Although, I didnt think Rob Pattinson's acting was up to scratch in this movie, I felt like he was a little bit static in places. He was much better in Twilight. Which brings me to agree that Catherine Hardwicke would definitely be the more desirable director for Breaking Dawn. She had a very specific and clear understanding of the connection between Edward and Bella, and it was shown in a very raw sense in Twilight. And its exactly what is needed for BD. There's so much happening in the Breaking Dawn novel and it would be a shame to see the intensity of the main characters' relationship faltering under the pressure of other intense scenes.

New Moon was great though in the fact it was so close to the book. Taylor Lautner was brilliant as Jacob. Although for me personally, Michael Sheen stole the show as Aro. He was fantastic and couldnt have played the part better - Menacing and sly, but also very charming. The soundtrack was also brilliant. The song 'Possibility' was perfectly placed around Bella's depression and you could almost feel the emotion she was going through.

I cant wait for Eclipse. It was my favourite book out of the Saga, and it'll be interesting to see how the love triangle is handled!

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 16:37:34 GMT
Roxy says:
I do not think 'Twilight' as a film was true to the book, in fact it was a big nonsense where the love in between the two is shown very little. I actually hate the movie, so poorly has been done, were the book makes me to read it again and again. I was let down big time by the movie.

I hope that New Moon will be closer to the book than Twilight, I hope you are right.

Posted on 28 Jan 2010 18:47:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2010 18:47:57 GMT
Jadey says:
I agree, i dont see why they needed to have a new director for new moon, cath did an amazing job of bringing the first book to life. i personally was abit disapointed in a way of how new moon turned out, they missed about alot of interesting stuff that the book goes into great detail about.
Im looking forward to see how eclipse turns out because personally i think eclipse is the boring book of the lot.

www.facebook.com/tfsdeth

Posted on 2 Feb 2010 15:56:04 GMT
H. Mihell says:
i agree with u about ewdwards clothes so wrong and the way he changed all the cullens alice he changed her im not beeing funny but the whole big thing is that there not ment to change and hes changed the way they look it should of been kept the way it was in the beginging !!! im a mazive fan of the books and now we have a film thats nearly the same but i feel as tho they rushed the love seens to add more atcion which yeah is ok but thats not what its all about the best bit of the book is the end when edward is trying to convince bella she is awake and i cant belive he missed it out !!!!!!!!!!!!! i heated new moon the book coz i hated edward for leaving her but after reading it a few times i atchly do like it and i relised that there love wouldnt be as strong if they had never had to live wich out each other!!! i felt like that with the film i watched it the first time and throught it was ok but the second time i watched it i loved it even with the missing bits !!!!!!! all i can say is rool on eclipse can not wait for that one let jasper have his turn in the lime light hehe i just really hope they try and keep to the story and keep the love in this one as i heard the director is the one that made 30days of night and thats a horror so not to sure what sure hes going to do with it !!!! just hope hes not going to make it to scary as my little boy loves both films and hes only 5

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2010 13:08:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2010 13:10:14 GMT
DM Bunny says:
Strongly written review - some good stuff in there , I'm a red blooded bloke but I preferred Hardwicke's directorship of the Twilight Saga over that of Weitz. Twilight was one of those rare films where I think the movie script actually IMPROVED on the book - it's a real anti-climax to watch the film first and see the subtle and ominous way that Bella goes about discovering that Edward is a vampire and then read the book and discover that the author had Jacob blurt the truth out to Bella early on in the LaPush scene during a casual conversation.
I think Weitz struggles here to keep the pace flowing - part of the problem is the book itself which the film follows. The departure of Edward at the beginning of the book/film is totally absurd - as is his explanation at the end that he wanted her to have the chance to live a normal life. How could he possibly think he was protecting her or that she could live a normal life when he knows there is a revenge crazed female vampire out there in the town screaming for Bella's blood ? Is Edward that dumb that he thinks after destroying Victoria's mate and by removing the entire family from Forks that will protect Bella ? They are supposed to be Vampires not total and utter morons.

Posted on 26 Mar 2010 09:50:08 GMT
Beavis says:
Are you sure you didn't just dream that you saw this abortion?

Posted on 27 Mar 2010 00:54:02 GMT
Roger Jay says:
"it's about capturing the spirit, the mood, the feel of it."

An interesting definition of boredom and dullness...

Posted on 2 Apr 2010 02:03:11 BDT
Bite Me says:
Well I was disappointed with Twilight and surprisingly disappointed by New Moon - I had higher hopes for this film when I heard that there would be a new director. I agree with some of the above however I think the music was weak and I do not think that they did stay true enough to the book. For example that fight scene with the volturi and Edward - when did that happen in the book with Edward getting his ass kicked - well it didn't did it so why put it in? The only thing that could and did harm Edward was Jane in this scene because remember EDWARD CAN READ MINDS so he would have known there moves before they made them silly!!! I also agree with who ever said his clothes are not right, he is supposed to look sexy in a natural way and they are all supposed to be stunningly good looking not that haggard pained look that they are all portraying and here is the real problem you hae mispitched this saga and therefore the films as 'teen' stuff which is why it has failed so far and why it will be even harder to successfully do the next 2 films. The films must start to portray the 'want, need or even lust elements like when Bella's heart stops beating and she nearly faints when Edward kisses her and how he plays on that. I guess these are adult topics but the next films must have a sexier, darker and edgy feel to them - think the music score in True Blood and the way they manage to portray their sensuality - I could go on forever but I am off to sleep now..........
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›