Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: The Beethoven Piano Sonatas (MP3 Download)
@Sugarboy has left the most eloquent of reviews for these beautiful inspirational pieces.
- These are soon to reach their 80th birthday. Recognising the recording techniques of the time these remain clear presentations of most of the sonatas.
- Mr. Schnabel was at the top of his game when these were recorded. However, he seems to have focussed on hitting the right notes ~ sometimes some the eloquence seems to be missing.
- Insane price. Download these as (at the very least) the signposts for you to acquire different interpretations of the pieces. Be warned, some of the modern perfect recordings will sound soulless, stately and sterile after this "benchmark".
- Vital. Yes, I find the recording old and "blunt" ~ but I do know that someone is pounding it out as if the hounds from hell are at his heels. I swear you can hear the tea boy whistling along at times, it is that "alive".
- Schnabel. I have no idea how many variants of some of these sonata's you could buy today. 20? 40? When these were recorded they were the benchmark. The Gold Standard. They are what every subsequent modern pianist heard and was inspired to meet or exceed in their own career.
If you can find a better way of spending £1 or a couple of hours of you life I'd love to hear it :) Regards, CW.