5.0 out of 5 stars Vampires and Zombies, Simply Outstanding, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Falling to Ash (Moth Novel) (Paperback)
Falling to Ash follows Moth (Or Marie to her human family) a teenage vampire who is still adjusting to her vampire life and trying to juggle her human family. Now the blurb itself is actually a bit misleading because it suggest that Moth's father has a big role in the story and he doesn't. It focuses mainly on Moth as she discovers that a kid was killed and turned in a Zombie (Unmade). This forces her to work with sexy Vampire Hunter Jace. And while trying to find out who is trying to turn kids into Zombies she must prove herself to her Maker and the Boston Vampire Clan that she is under control.

Falling to Ash is the first book I have read of Karen Mahoney, even though I do have her Iron Witch series. I am kicking myself for not reading anything by Karen before. Falling to Ash was simply outstanding. And I 100% love it.

Moth is such a brilliant character, she is vampire but is still in touch with her humanity. She is snarky and funny and I think is just so easy to connect with. Which is a big bonus for me. If I can't connect with the protagonist I have trouble fully enjoying the book. Thankfully I liked Moth from page one. When a kid she knew was killed she goes to investigate and she runs into Jace, a vampire hunter. Now Jace, I wasn't sure if I liked him straight away or not. But the chemistry between him and Moth was undeniable even if it was in the form fighting. I just found them so funny. And as the story develops so does their "relationship"

There is quite a few other interesting characters that play a part in the story. And Theo is one of them. Theo is Moth's maker and I was of course drawn to him. It's the big bad vampire thing, I can't help myself. He is bad ass and scary at times but drool worthy and I just wish he was in the story more. Maybe in the next book.

Falling to Ash was truely amazing. The story is fast paced and never slows down. It's action packed with twisted and turns that keep you guessing. It mysterious, with a slight 'who dunit" feel to it as Moth and Jace are trying to find out who is behind the Zombie. And let me tell you I had no idea who was behind it. Usually I can figure out these things pretty quick but Karen keeps you guessing all the way through.

I know a lot of people are now sick of vampires but for me I'll never be sick of them. They are my first love and I love all the different takes on them. Karen Mahoney has took the classic blood drinking vampire but put her own slight twist on them. So vampire lovers, this is a must read.

Overall, Falling to Ash was fantastic!! I can't recommend it enough. It has it all. Action, mystery, blood thirsty vampires, zombies and a little bit of romance. Go now and grab yourself a copy and see for yourself! I am now going to go loopy waiting on the sequel!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]