5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent - Genuine replacement for 50W Halogens, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements (Kitchen & Home)
We now have 44 of these Long Life Lamp Company GU10 LED bulbs and they are excellent. We have a combination of two types:

- PURE WHITE (in the kitchen and bathrooms): GU10 5W LED Super Bright PURE WHITE Colour 55w Replacement for Halogen bulb with New SMD Chip Technology 400 Lumens
- WARM WHITE (in all other rooms): Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements

After initially thinking we'd use Pure White everywhere (as it looks brighter), after trying some in the bedrooms and hallways we found the light too stark and went for Warm White for those areas instead. This aligns with many other reviews I've seen - it seems this is the combination most people opt for in the end.

Overall I've researched about 300+ different GU10 LED bulbs online and tried 7 different samples for real, and I think these are the best. I calculate that at they current price 8.95 they pay back in under 1800 hours use - well under 3 years if they are on for 2 hours a day on average.

If you're looking for GU10s to replace 50W Halogen ones then consider the following:

1) Light output: These are 400 Lumens and, to my eyes, very similar light level to 50W Halogens. Many other 5W LED bulbs offer lower Lumens output. I've tried others are they look obviously dull.

2) Length: Standard Halogen GU10s are 50mm diameter x 55mm long (to the end of pins). Many bright LED ones are much longer than this and may not fit in your holders. These are 50x50 so fit fine - a genuine like for like replacement.

3) Colour (of the light): This is measured in Kelvin but manunfacturers give names to different levels. Standard halogens are (all, I believe) around 2700K - "Warm white". That is a yellow type of white. I tried some 6000K ones but that's a very harsh white like an operating theatre - too stark for me.
After much experimentation we settled on:
- 4000K (Pure White) in the kitchen and bathrooms (GU10 5W LED Super Bright PURE WHITE Colour 55w Replacement for Halogen bulb with New SMD Chip Technology 400 Lumens)
- 3000K (Warm White) in all other rooms (Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements)

4) Beam angle. Many bright LEDs seem to have narrow beam angles (e.g. 90 degrees or less), which creates a spotlight. I am after general purpose room lighting and these are 120 degrees, which is a nice wide angle.

5) Average life. Many LEDs have a stated life of 50,000 hours. These are lower - 30,000 hours. However I can live with this given that the payback period is only 1800 hours!

There is only one tiny downside I can find - sometimes when you move something (e.g. wave briskly) you notice a slight strobing effect (the LEDs are obviously pulsing fast rather than permanently on - presumably at 50Hz mains, whereas you don't notice this with Halogens as the element stays hot between the 50Hz cycles). I don't notice it often, and it isn't a problem for me, but if you're planning to put these bulbs somewhere where things move fast (e.g. a gym) you might want to try a single bulb as a sampler first.

In summary - I think these bulbs are excellent - a genuine replacement for halogen GU10s, and consume only 10% of the power! I calculated payback in under 3 years based on 2 hours usage per day, but prices are dropping already so you're on to a winner!

(edited from my earlier review of the Pure White bulbs)

===========
Update, 12/4/14:
===========

Still have 44 of these bulbs (some Warm White, some Pure White). All working fine - no failures at all. Still very happy! In reply to some of the comments and other reviews note that no-one should expect these to look exactly the same as halogens. They are close, but not identical. In exchange for this minor compromise you will be saving a heap of electricity and money (assuming they are switched on at least an hour or two a day). Also I note one person commented that the ones he bought fell apart. That is a shame - I can only assume that there was a problem with his order and he received the wrong bulbs as my experience (and that of most other reviewers) has been nothing but positive.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jul 2012 09:16:50 BDT
M. SMITH says:
What a fantastic review - very helpful - thank you for this.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 20:52:36 BDT
Dave says:
Agreed, excellent review which answered many relevant questions, and some questions I'd not even thought of! Sadly, a great many reviews are written by people who are close to illiterate. That's not so here! I wish more people would follow Handyman's example and consider what it is others might really need to know, and then set it all out in a clear, well-written manner such as this.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 08:38:36 BDT
John Moore says:
This is everything a review should be. Objective and factual based on real experience, congratulations. However, there is one question I would ask. Does the reviewer have any experience of LEDs interfering with domestic WiFi links to the internet?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 09:42:41 BDT
Handyman says:
Thanks for the comment. I have not heard of LED bulbs interfering with WiFi and had not noticed any problems but to satisfy my curiosity I've just done a basic test. I switched off all the lights and tested coverage, then switched on as many of the LEDs lights as I could find (39 in all) then checked WiFi coverage again. I could see no difference, so I conclude that the LEDs *DON'T* interfere with WiFi (or if they do, it is trivial).

Coincidentally I have a background in WiFi technology. If anyone wants more technical details see below:

I have two WiFi networks:
1) Apple Airport Express Access Point running 802.11g (2.4GHz band), and 802.11n. Client is Apple iPhone 4.
2) Apple Airport Express Access Point running 802.11a (5GHz band), and 802.11n. Client is Apple iPad (v2).
My tests were using only the coverage indicator in the iPhone/iPad. I haven't done a specific dB signal strength test or throughput test, but the coverage indicators give a reasonable idea. When I did the test I noted the point at which the devices lost the WiFi signal whilst walking away from the Access Points both with and without the lights and it was at the same point, so the LEDs can't have had much/any impact.

Also I can report that having had the LEDs for several months now they're still running strong. No failures/problems. Very happy with light level and colour. The only niggle is the minor 'strobe' effect I noted in the original post, but I can live with that for the cost saving (and the cost of the bulbs is dropping too!)

Hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 18:05:34 GMT
Mr. Clg Bell says:
Re wi-fi interference:

I have 4x LED bulbs in the kitchen (not these, but 5w R63 replacements - brilliant in all senses of the word) in the ceiling above the kitchen table, putting them in the direct line between laptop and wireless router in the roof (also 802.11g). I have not observed any difference in wi-fi behaviour or signal strength since fitting them.

And thank you for your excellent review. Having done the R63 bulbs in the house I'm planning to move on to replacing the 12v / 50w halogens with mains GU10 bulbs, and this review confirmed my own experiments. I too have tried a 6000K (kelvin) bulb and found it much too cold, and I find 2700K to 3000K to be about right.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2012 19:30:07 GMT
Yes excellent review, it's almost as if it were the company writing it, as I have bought these bulbs on the strength of this review and can honestly say they are the worst bulbs I have had the misfortune to purchase, so it is my conclusion that this is a very biased review and not true at all

Posted on 2 Mar 2013 09:21:03 GMT
Hi handyman. I have been researching LED bulbs for a couple of weeks now and bought some from B&Q the other day. Unfortunately the light fitting I bought them for would not allow them to slot into the connector because the 'shaft' of the bulb was to short to reach the connector at the back of the fitting. Do these bulbs have a similar length 'shaft' to a standard GU10 bulb? Even 1/2 a cm whould make all the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2013 09:48:15 GMT
Handyman says:
Hi James,

Yes, based on my own experience comparing to various halogen GU10s, these LED ones have identical dimensions.

Update on light levels: We recently had part our house redecorated. We've noticed that with some shades of paint, these LEDs do appear slightly duller than standard Halogens. Oddly we can't find any clear pattern of which colours/shades are good/bad. It's not a dramatic difference but it is real.

The 4000K (whiter) variant is definitely brighter than the 3000K (yellower) - no real surprises there, but I just wanted to emphasise that if the brightness of light is your top requirement I recommend considering the 4000Ks and accepting the whiter light (suits us fine in kitchen, bathroom and office)

Finally I note that the price of these has plummeted since I bought my original batch at nearly 10 a pop! But I'm still happy - they costed in for me even at that price. At the current price the savings over halogens are hugely compelling!

Happy bulb hunting!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2013 18:04:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2013 17:04:32 BDT
Sparky says:
Allan - why are they the worst bulbs, it would be helpful to explain. Is it brightness, colour, failure rate, fitting. How many did you buy.

Later edit, I sort of agree with Allan now. Some of mine have failed already and I can't stand the light - the bulb is an intense light spot but doesn't give out enough light. There is a much much better LED bulb on Amazon - but it cost twice this. (but worth it).

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 08:13:50 BDT
Pusateri says:
The review raises some good points to look for when buying low energy LEDs.

Regarding Wi-Fi interference, I haven't noticed it with my WiFi but I did find that these types of low energy LEDs (not necessarily these precise ones) interfered with the analogue radio - we had a continuous low buzzing sound coming from the radio. Has anyone else noticed and overcome this problem?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›