5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the X10 so much I couldn't stop myself..., 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm X-E1 Digital Camera Body Only - Black (16 MP with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor) 2.8 Inch LCD (Electronics)
I have reviewed the FujiFilm X10 elsewhere on Amazon, and as you will see from that I was quite impressed with the little fellow. So much so in fact that when a recurring hip injury `suggested' to me that carrying a load of full-frame gear around wasn't a great idea, I returned to the Fuji stable for another look.
Previously when I went walkabout with the (full frame) Nikon gear I used to carry a 14-28, 24-70 and a 105 macro. Having been a Nikon user since 1972 (F, F2, FE, FM, F3, F4, D3 amongst others) I was loathe to part with my trusty gear, but after a lot of soul searching I finally sold my entire 35mm kit and replaced it with two XE-1 bodies, an 18mm f2.0, a 35mm f1.4 and a 60mm f2.4 macro. Over and above the cost of these items I managed to put over £2k back in the bank, which will come in very handy next year when Fuji release the 10-24mm wide zoom and the 55-200mm telephoto zoom.
The XE1 coupled with the 35mm f1.4 is a revelation. It's a superb camera coupled with an equally superb lens, and for the sort of thing I use it for (street photography, people watching and so on) it's a fabulous piece of kit (and nowhere near as threatening for the subjects as a clunking great D3 body and a lens with an acre of glass on the front). If you like the macho effect of huge piles of hardware then stick with full frame 35mm (hey, I'm taking a dig at myself here too - I used it for years) - however if you want a small camera that `fits in' and produces images that belie its small size then the XE-1 is the baby for you. (Or the X-Pro 1 I guess, now that they have updated the firmware).
Pros
Fast lens, great quality, 16mp JPGs knock the socks off the competiton
Very good performance in low light
Menus easy to understand.
Battery life reasonable. You can get `no name' extras on eBay for around £9, and these work just as well as the manufacturer's battery.
Handles beautifully, and fits in a largish coat pocket
Shooting modes easy to change (i.e. getting into macro in a couple of clicks)
Panoramic facility is very usable, especially as a `wide' replacement.
Bright, clear rear screen
Viewfinder clear, and much to my surprise even usable with spectacles!
Focus is fairly fast (just don't go comparing it with a D3 - horses for courses)
Retro chic looks fab (but that's purely a personal opinion)

Cons
The on/off switch is easily dislodged. The exposure override and shutter speed dials are (fairly easily) dislodged and it's easy to accidentally switch the lens away from the `A' position. Beginning to see a pattern? Fuji need to look at making the settings a little firmer or putting a lock on them.
I have just completed a two week shoot using this kit and moving away from the gear mentioned above I was surprised just how much I used the 35mm lens (about 53mm focal length on full frame) and pleasantly surprised at the wide open performance of this optic.
And like with the X10, I didn't once wonder if I would have been better off lugging the Nikons around. I never felt unwelcome attention focused upon me (as one often does when shooting a pro DSLR) - quite the reverse in fact, people hardly seemed to notice it, which is just how it should be. The shutter sound (you can turn it off) also has a lovely little `snick' - just like a Leica but quieter!!!
Oh, and did I mention that I can get all of this kit in a tiny shoulder bag that doesn't look like it has photo gear inside? And walking around with this on my shoulder I hardly notice it's there...
And as Douglas Adams once said, here's the summary of the summary:
Buy one, you won't regret it...
(I bought two and didn't regret that either)...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Mar 2013 22:42:57 GMT
Mahesh says:
I know 35 and 60mm are completely different lenses but what do you think of each as a portrait lens? Which is better suited?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 22:51:45 GMT
Mark Lamb says:
The 60mm is the more conventional portrait 'length' and has a love bokeh at maximum aperture, but if you're wanting to get in a bit closer then the 35mm is suited as well especially with its f1.4 aperture. Focusing is critical though and sometimes hit and miss. Remember that Jane Bown was one of the best portraitists around, and she only ever used a 50mm lens (which the 35 matches quite closely). As ever, it's what you do with the gear that counts, not the gear itself. I seldom look at a shot I admire and ask myself what focal length was used. If you can afford it, buy them both. They are great lenses.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2013 23:45:25 GMT
Mahesh says:
Thanks, I am also waiting for Fuji to release the 50+ mm lens, that should be great.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

£749.99 £379.00