3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Bass, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Klipsch Image One On-Ear Headphones with 3-Button Mic for iPhone/iPod - Black / Silver / Leather (Electronics)
I have a pair of B&W P5's but found that during extended use they hurt my ears so was looking for headphones that cupped the ears more.

I tried the Klipsch headphones at the apple store and found them to be considerably more comfortable purely because they do not put any pressure on the actual ears.

The build quality is very good but I did notice that on the demo models at the apple store the matt finish on the frame had worn off so is something to keep in mind but remember that the apple ones would be getting handled a lot.

None of the parts of the headphone are removable/replaceable and there is a cable from each ear cup that joins to a remote that controls the track skip/call answer, volume on the iphone/ipod etc. Personally I didn't like the amount of cables especially after using my P5's with the one cable that comes from the left each cup but again this will be user preference.

In terms of sound I found the Klipsch to be too bassy. I do like to hear the bass in my music but I found it too overpowering in the majority of songs. In some cases it was starting to leave distortion which left me to turn put on the iPhone sound check to level the volumes and to change the EQ settings to something less heavy. I tried to persist over a couple of sessions but was still left feeling that the bass on these headphones is too much and that I preferred the more neutral sound from the P5.

Sure the price difference makes the P5 in a different league but I would still try and demo a pair of these headphones before you buy. The heavy bass might be your thing but it wasn't for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Nov 2012 11:50:26 GMT
Rich says:
If you were running these off an iphone or ipod with the EQ enabled, that is no doubt where the distortion is coming from you are hearing. The 'preset' equalisers built into the ipods always have been absolutely rubbish because unless it is set to flat, or cutting certain frequencies, it just results in distortion, particularly noticeable in the low end. This is due to the EQ's having a very powerful boost, but with no preamp control, if you have to boost frequencies the overall level coming in needs to be lower first or otherwise it will obviously distort as it exceeds the maximum level of the device. The graphic EQ built into the itunes software is however brilliant.

I highly highly doubt that these headphones will distort when playing back at a moderate-high level, from a 'neutral' source (ie no EQ). If they still do then you should take them back and get your money back.

Do your P5's not distort when plugged in to the same device that is distorting the Klipsch's?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2013 10:26:55 GMT
S. Hughes says:
Thanks for this post Rich. I ordered these headphones and their great. I have to say I can find absolutely no evidence of any distortion with my iphone 5 with or without the EQ being on even at full volume. Really glad I've got these cans - their brilliant!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›