3.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate adventure tripod, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Joby GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Tripod for SLR Cameras with Ballhead (Electronics)
------------------------------------
Quick points (see below for updates)
------------------------------------

PROS: Extreme portability and flexibility

CONS: Not as sturdy as I would like (read update at the end)

BOTTOM-LINE: Ultimate portability and flexibility

The travel/Outdoor pod
----------------------
I think that your level of satisfaction with this "tripod" will depend on your understanding/expectation about what it is for.

I got this pod because I was looking for high flexibility and low weight -I was looking for something that would not get in the way of two key activities: climbing, travelling.

While climbing, I have put this thing around rocks, trees, signs, and even stuck it in snow. It is so small that I have no much problem carrying it with me to the high camps. I can't think of many alternatives to get the same flexibility.

For travelling, this is also extremely useful. I just throw it in a messenger bag along my DSLR (tip: try to avoid camera bags that scream "tourist with expensive DSLR") and it is ready for low light shots, and self-portraits. This last bit is very important as handing your DSLR to strangers has two drawbacks: (1) you don't want to hand your expensive camera to just anyone, (2) 99.99% of people don't know how to handle a DSLR -even in AUTO mode.

What's the catch? Well, it is not quite stable -but I don't think it was never intended to be. I usually take with me a elastic band that secures it to odd things (benches, trees, rocks,..) and that's enough.

One more thing: I doubted between 4 and 5 stars. I was inclined to 4 stars because it is not as sturdy as I would like, but in the end the extreme portability and flexibility of this pod outweighed this negative point.

On a second thought, one extra comment: you may be considering the super clamp. I think the super clamp is an excellent product and serves a similar -but nonetheless, different- purpose. Think about what you are going to use them for. In my view, they complement each other. However, if your pockets cannot handle both I think this pod may have an edge when it comes to usefulness.

Update 1
================
After using it for slightly more than a year, two legs have become very loose and come-off very easily -because the rings where they attach to have broke. I still can use it with care. The above points still apply with this new caveat.

Update 2
================
The gorillapod became unusable. The cracks in the joints were too large and the legs were coming off way to easy, rendering the tripod useless.

I contacted Joby to buy spares and they told me they do not sell them. Not sure why not as it's clearly a part that is put together with rest (but they don't).

I did some DIY. I got some plastic zip ties, removed the grey rubber bands, put the zip ties, glued them with expoxy. Now I can use it to mount a flash -but not to hold my DSLR.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Aug 2012 09:25:39 BDT
Isaac says:
how long did it take for it to break and how much did you use it

Posted on 24 Aug 2012 16:06:31 BDT
Angel says:
Well, you should have demanded a replacement., even though it was just outside the guarantee you are entitled to have some thing fit for it's purpose!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2012 19:29:07 BDT
tbuyer says:
Good question. I would say it was about 6 months when I started noticing one leg wasn't quite tight anymore.
From there it was about 12 months until the first crack. I used it with care since, but then happen what I say in my second update.

If you need it, there are little options. The focus seems much sturdier -I have that one now, and I will post a review in a few months, after some time using it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2012 19:30:05 BDT
probably you are right.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 16:11:51 BDT
Angel says:
Umm, I have to say, that it has put me off buying it for the moment. I might be tempted if I was you, to check it out with ephotozine on the web, see what they have to say:)

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 22:52:24 BDT
G MacBaker says:
This version of the Gorillapod is not used for the heavier SLRs/DSLRs. After going on the Joby website, the recommended Gorillapod is the Focus. I know someone else who got a standard Gorillapod and it split because it was to heavy and the joints couldn't take it. He got the Focus and it works like it should.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2013 00:18:30 BDT
tbuyer says:
I have owned and used the three different versions for DSLRs. This review corresponds to the intended use of this particular model.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›