4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Fine On My Stereo!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hydra (MP3 Download)
There's a lot of comments on this about the sound quality being poor. Whilst I will accept that it isn't perfect - it isn't as bad as some people are making out. I listen to most of my music in the car and in the gym - and this album gets no complaints from me. Maybe if you're listening really loudly on a state of the art system then you might encounter problems, I don't know. For those who may have complained about the sound quality of Metallica's Death Magnetic - this album sounds a lot better than that when the volume is up.

With that rubbish out of the way, I will say that this is the first WT album I have purchased. My opinion, therefore, is not tainted by previous releases and I cannot - and will not - compare it to older albums that may or not be widely regarded as the band's best.

This album has opened the door for me in terms of wanting to hear more from WT, so in my case, I would say that is a success.

At least 7 out of the 10 songs on here are nothing short of fantastic. Melodic, operatic, heavy and beautiful all at the same time.

Let me tell you how this whole thing played out for me. I saw the album advertised and thought I'd give it a listen to see what I thought. I haven't ever been tempted by WT before but for some reason this was different. Perhaps it's because I've recently started listening to similar band (Nightwish), perhaps it was just the cover, maybe it was an accumulation of a lot of things - but when I first heard 'Let Us Burn' I knew that I was going to buy the album. Fantastic from start to finish, this track really grabbed my attention and my imagination.

The addition of Xzibit has got some fans' knickers in a twist - but why? It's one song on one album, and to me, it sounds great. He adds a different dimension to 'And We Run'. This is what makes great albums in some cases - variety without deviating too far from the script. It seems that because of who he is, this song has received some bad reviews. To me, it keeps the album exciting and fresh as you move through the tracks.

'Dangerous' and 'Whole World is Watching' are other highlights - as well as 'Paradise' which, ironically for me, features Tarja. I had never been interested in Nightwish (having heard several of their more famous songs) until I heard Imaginaerum, which was fronted by Tarja's replacement, Anette Olzen. Here, Tarja sounds absolutely wonderful. It's funny how these things work out, sometimes.

Again, this album has made me want to hear more of this band. It has also given me new appreciation for Tarja Turunen and even Howard Jones (of Killswitch Engage). I know all of Xzibit's old albums but maybe there's someone out there inspired enough by his performance on 'And We Run' to dig into his back catalogue.

A significant album on this listener's journey through the genres. 4 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Mar 2014 14:45:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2014 14:46:31 GMT
ANDY says:
THANK GOD someone who agrees with me about the production of this album, sounds fine to my ears too and I have a "state-of-the-art" sound system at home so I am ALWAYS listening to the perfect version of any album.THANKYOU

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2014 23:09:42 GMT
Neil Bradley says:
Andy did you get the MP3 or the CD version?

Posted on 4 Apr 2014 09:49:31 BDT
Bobcat says:
The comments about the sound quality aren't 'rubbish'. It is someone (a lot of peoples actually) opinion. I don't think your opinion is 'rubbish', it is just another point of view.

There is no doubt at all that the songs and concept of this album are fantastic, and there will always be differences with how people perceive music as everyone is different, but I have hundreds of albums and listen to music three to four hours per night though decent hardware, speakers and cans, and this is the only album I have a problem with. Some cannot determine it, my wife can't as she is not an audiophile, she just enjoys the album for what it is; up loud through the speakers :-).

However, there is no doubt the sound quality is foobared! I have the limited edition CD, and the autorip mp3 from amazon, they are the same. It is bearable, but whoever recorded, mixed/mastered this has severely messed up (in my opinion). I just bought the new Elysion and Lacuna Coli albums - they are fine for sound quality. I go back to this album afterwards, and it sounds like it is playing off an old Cassette! Strange.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 10:09:05 BDT
You misunderstood my use of the word 'rubbish'.. I was only referring to the fact that I felt the need to dedicate the whole 1st paragraph to the sound quality rather than the actual songs. I also did say that someone listening on high tech equipment might experience problems, whereas many, like myself, won't.

That being said, I will be trying out the Elysion and Lacuna Coil albums you mentioned. Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2014 10:09:32 BDT