2.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment....., 13 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Children of Húrin (Hardcover)
After being very excited about this novel due to its author or rather J.R.R.Tolkien, not his son! I was so disappointed. The only saving grace of this awful book is the pictures and artistry by Alan Lee.

The book which I was hoping to be an epic fell at the first hurdle. The story is of the "Children of Hurin" so why in middle earth do they only feature together for approximately 10% of the book. The intro was awful, I don't think I have ever read such a longwinded and more confusing book in my life. Don't get me wrong the family tree and heritage is important within Lord of the Rings, Hobbit etc etc, but I have to say that putting the character list and hidden family tree at the end of the book was a huge mistake!!! Why wouldn't you help the reader by having it as a preface to the book rather than an appendix???

As for the plot and characterisation, it was lacking. I felt less enthusiasm for Turin than any hero I have ever imagined. He was corrupt and flawed however that was part of his character and ensuing doom. The story itself never reached a cresendo in my opinion. The slaying of the dragon was so boring and uneventful that it was scary that it formed the basis of the book. Unlike the other swashbuckling and dangerous quests and stories within Tolkien's other novels this story didn't even feature any real combat with evil.

Admittedly the story of Nienor was remotely worthy and interesting however, I felt so dismissive of Turin and his worthiness as the heir of such an important lineage that the book took a nose dive as soon as he took control.

Overall a real mess and a disappointment for Tolkien and his namesake. The book was lengthy and didn't hold my attention bar the simple love tangle between the brother and sister and their unfortunate demise.

I wouldn't advise this novel to anyone who loved Tolkien's other works as there appears to have been a very good reason why he didn't publish it.

However praise for Alan Lee, he was the only reason I continued to read on and the book evidently needed extra help via the images.

[Add comment]