ARRAY(0xa9655330)

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight from cover to cover, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
First off, I'll come clean and admit that I've been a diehard Linda Gillard fan ever since discovering her through her earlier book 'Star Gazing'. So I knew that 'Untying The Knot' was going to be a treat. But in fact it not only lived up to my expectations, I think in a lot of ways this is her best novel so far.

Personally I know next to nothing about PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), but this side to the novel seemed faultlessly researched, and enough facts were slipped into the story that I felt I had learned something meaningful. Magnus, the hero (literally) of the book, was in bomb disposal, and has seen things that he can never forget. His ex-wife Fay is obviously very affected by his experiences and their lasting repurcussions, as we discover as the story progresses.

Their relationship is a complex one, but one that seemed very real. Linda's writing stlye is subtle and yet powerful, so that you feel what the characters are feeling through what seems like effortless description and dialogue. The peripheral characters (prospective son-in-law Rick, ex-mother-in-law Jessie, incorrigible divorcee Morag, etc) all add something to the story, and offer necessary humour and insights into the lives of Fay and Magnus.

One of Linda's real talents lies in characterisation. All her characters jump off the page, and in the case of Untying The Knot in particular, I know Magnus and Fay will follow me around in the back of my mind for a long while yet. I'd very definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for an unconventional and thoughtful love story that will make you smile through your tears.

If you enjoyed Untying The Knot and are looking for more of Linda's books to devour, then my other personal favourites are Star Gazing (most like this novel in tone, in my opinion) and Emotional Geology. House Of Silence, the book before this one, is also a real treat, and has several similar themes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Sep 2011 22:34:25 BDT
Alba52 says:
Thank you for this review (and others!). I'm the author. I was so pleased you felt you'd learned something about post-traumatic stress disorder - "the enemy within". The more I researched this subject, the more appalled I was at how terrible a condition it is and how difficult it is to ask for/get treatment.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 01:38:05 BDT
EL says:
Hi!

It's strange in a way that I've never come across any other (fiction) books that deal with PTSD, given how serious I now know its effects can be, and how many people suffer with it. Spreading awareness can only be a good thing, especially in a way like this that is fairly 'mainstream' and easily accessible. And it certainly helps that Magnus is such an empathetic character.

By the way, I saw on your website an extract from your next book, which looked fantastic! Any idea when it might be finished/published (self- or otherwise)?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 08:25:20 BDT
Alba52 says:
I will finish the supernatural love story before the end of the year and then my agent will try to sell it. If she has no joy, then I'll e-publish. So it might be out some time next year if no publisher wants it. If they do, it would be the year after as it takes much longer to print publish.

Thanks for your interest. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 20:20:52 BDT
EL says:
Brilliant! Best of luck doing battle with publishers. A paperback would be lovely!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (49 customer reviews)

1.99